6 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54383 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

After my unfortunate water-additions issue, I want to tread lightly here. In the interest of lowering mash pH on lighter-colored beers, I picked up a 5oz bottle of 88% lactic acid at my LHBS yesterday. How many of you guys use this, how do you determine how much to use and how on Earth do you measure the amount? I have heard that a very small amount goes a long way and that using too much can give your beer a twang. Thoughts?

#2 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48072 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

I use it. Palmer's spreadsheet calculates it for me based on color. I measure with a small syringe. IIRC, the most I've ever used in a 5 gal batch has been about 7ml to make a 3-4 SRM beer with my 18-25 SRM water.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

I use it, too, and like George I use a small syringe (left over from a Hopshot). For all pils malt beers, it usually takes me 3-4 ml.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54383 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

Okay, that's great guys. So here's another thing... my water is low an calcium so if I add some calcium chloride to the mash it appears that I can get by with ultra-small additions of lactic acid to get the SRM into the 2-7 range... like .5 ml. Do I just bypass the lactic acid and use CaCl to lower the mash pH? Also, the ideal SRM range for my untreated water is 12 to 17. Adding 1 tsp of CaCl to the mash (about 4 grams) lower the SRM range to 4 to 9 as it is. Is the acid unnecessary at that point? Does the acid have other benefits? Cheers!

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48072 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

Okay, that's great guys. So here's another thing... my water is low an calcium so if I add some calcium chloride to the mash it appears that I can get by with ultra-small additions of lactic acid to get the SRM into the 2-7 range... like .5 ml. Do I just bypass the lactic acid and use CaCl to lower the mash pH? Also, the ideal SRM range for my untreated water is 12 to 17. Adding 1 tsp of CaCl to the mash (about 4 grams) lower the SRM range to 4 to 9 as it is. Is the acid unnecessary at that point? Does the acid have other benefits? Cheers!

I would think the CaCl was unnecessary... What do you mean when you say your Ca is low? How low?

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54383 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

I would think the CaCl was unnecessary... What do you mean when you say your Ca is low? How low?

34. And if I make a gold lager I might dilute with distilled water which would lower it further. Most minimum suggestions are 50ppm and I understand that calcium aids in clarity so you can see my issue with that. :smilielol: :D

#7 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48072 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

34. And if I make a gold lager I might dilute with distilled water which would lower it further. Most minimum suggestions are 50ppm and I understand that calcium aids in clarity so you can see my issue with that. :smilielol: :D

Wow. How do you get Ca so low and have such a large total hardness? One of the best things about the acid, IMO, is that I don't have to dilute with RO water anymore.So looks like your best bet is to add enough CaCl2 or CaSO4 to get Ca up to 50ppm (over the whole after-boil volume) then use acid to get RA down to target levels.Play around with Palmer's spreadsheet if you haven't yet. It has some variability built in, so that you probably wouldn't need to add that 0.5ml of acid and still be within color range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users