#1 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

I've pulled the pathetic 2 dozen cones of the Hallertau bines for the last time. Last year's harvest was about a dozen and a half.The stinkin' thing is about 5 years old. In three places I can see the root. It's 1/2" in diameter or more. So I would guess it is pretty well developed.I am moving the bed so I'm digging up the rizhomes and transplanting them 6 feet and adding a dill patch in there as well. The Hallertau just is not working out at the foot of the stairs. Now I have Cascade which are another 6 feet away and doing wonderfully. I'm not moving them.So what should you guys think I should plant instead of them? I'm told Palisades is similar to Amarillo grapefruity but without some cardboard aspects to the flavor. The trick is finding them.I'm open to other suggestions. Here's what Freshops.com has:Brewers GoldHigh-yielding, sister to Bullion, ancestor to most major high alpha varieties. Poor storage after harvest.CentennialMedium yielding, similar to Cascade with more alpha, can be a fussy grower.FuggleLow-yielding, early-ripening traditional English aroma type. (Guess this one is out)Kent GoldingModerate-yielding, English aroma type.Northern BrewerLow yield, moderate vigor, resistant to Verticillium wilt, susceptible to powdery mildew.WillametteModerate yielding, triploid hybrid of English Fuggle.

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

I would say your best bet would be the Willamette or the Kent Goldings. They sound like the best and easier ones to grow. I, personally, would not like to grow either of those. I prefer the high alpha varieties. Right now I'm growing Chinook and Nugget. I've also got some rhizomes for cascade, willamette, and columbus. I got those three from someone and they hardly even grew this year. I've actually still got them in some pots and I'm thinking that I'll keep them in pots until I move to a permanent home. Another option for you might be to talk to some brewers from your area and see if any of them have some hops already growing. I'm sure they would be willing to trade some beer for some rhizomes.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54408 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:40 AM

I heard the lower alpha hops can often have a much lower yield. When the hop "crisis" hit, I picked up EKG, Tettnanger, Hallertau and one other low alpha variety. I ended letting them die because I had them in pots and had no place ready to plant them. :covreyes:

#4 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25677 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

My personal opinion found in nothing but speculation on my part:Go with one of the more modern, recently developed strains of hops. They have been bred for optimum yield, are robust, are disease resistant and intended to be grown in North America.The strain I went with was Mt Hood. My first season, my bines grew longer than I had room to pull strings.The beer I made with my harvest got comments about people able to taste the spicy noble hops.zymot

#5 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

Go with one of the more modern, recently developed strains of hops. zymot

+1 I didn't think of that but you're completely right.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

The American strains, amazingly enough, do much better in the US. So if you're looking for something noble-ish, then Sterling, Liberty, Mt. Hood, etc. would be better. If you like English, then Willamette would be better than Goldings or Fuggle.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54408 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

Hey Zymot: Did you get a decent yield from the Mt. Hoods? Were you able to get any feel for what the AA% was on them? That would be a GREAT hop to have growing in your yard because of it's versatility. Honestly, you could make Reds, Pales, Ambers, Cream Ales, Blondes and even continental pilsners with some fresh Mt. Hoods. Cheers.

#8 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25677 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

Hey Zymot: Did you get a decent yield from the Mt. Hoods? Were you able to get any feel for what the AA% was on them? That would be a GREAT hop to have growing in your yard because of it's versatility. Honestly, you could make Reds, Pales, Ambers, Cream Ales, Blondes and even continental pilsners with some fresh Mt. Hoods. Cheers.

I got a very good yield the first year. Here are some pictures of what I got. These pictures are about the 1/3 to 1/2 of the first year growth. I ended filling the gable up and down, right to left with cones. There were 2 or 3 bines from each plant going across the gable. Notice that I had them growing in 30 gallon rubbermaid buckets. I used potting soil, a moderate amount of Miracle Grow and the buckets were drilled to have good irrigation. Plenty of fresh water and plenty of sun.I made an all Mt Hood quasi Vienna from it. Came out very nice. I think I tried to estimate the AA% by making a tea of a known AA and comparing to my Mt Hoods. Really did not help much. I think I estimated that it was about the same as my reference. But that method is suspect at best.Based on my results, Mt Hood is a good choice. I ended up selling the plants teh next year because I was had to leave town right during the critical part of the growing season.Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

Beautiful!! :covreyes:

#10 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:27 AM

I have had three different varieties that died over the course of time.Now that i have a good handle on it my Northern Brewer(3 yr old) is growing good,hopefully this year i will get more than an oz dried. My Cascade (seems like a late starter every year)(2yr old) is doing better than NB.I am going to get a lot of cones from the Cascade this year.Zymot:great pics. :rolf:

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:08 AM

Posted ImageThose are some serious cones!

#12 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

I just wanted to mention that I don't know what the problem might be with different rhizomes, but my 6 or 7-year old Hallertauer is as robust as ever this year. It is already close to 20 feet high (actually winding around and around at the top of a 13 foot post), and it produces several ounces per year. AND, it is in the shade for most of the day. Maybe that is the secret? Too much sun bad? I doubt it, but who knows.Better luck next time. I'd try Mt. Hood or Northern Brewer if you still want a sort of German style hop. Even Perle -- I hear the Perles grow pretty well if you can get 'em.

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

I just wanted to mention that I don't know what the problem might be with different rhizomes, but my 6 or 7-year old Hallertauer is as robust as ever this year.

Could be a climatic difference. I'd venture that 'Sconsin is much closer to Germany climate-wise than Baltimore.

#14 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

Dammit, now I want to try growing hops again. :rolleyes:

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

Could be a climatic difference. I'd venture that 'Sconsin is much closer to Germany climate-wise than Baltimore.

more sun in the growing season being further north helps, to a point

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:54 PM

more sun in the growing season being further north helps, to a point

So would being in a cooler, less humid environment.

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:52 AM

So would being in a ... less humid environment.

It ain't hoomid here...... It's freakin' liquid! :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users