#1 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

I've been cleaning a bunch of glass jars for use in storing grains. I like using glass because my grains are stored in a detached garage that most likely has mice. I have the grains stored in a metal cabinet, but I like the extra protection of glass jars for storage of the individual grains.Anyway, most of these jars are for tomato sauce or salsa and the lids have a distinct tomato-y smell which is fine for storing the extremely dark roasty grains, but not for the lighter flavored grains. I've tried bleach with success but was wondering if anyone else had some suggestions. I think my next attempt will be oxiclean or maybe some homemade PBW. Thanks.EDIT: Title should say "Smell". Oops.

#2 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13086 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

Give oxiclean a shot.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

Dishwasher a few times or just lay some plastic wrap over the jar before you seal it - until the *small* is gone.

#4 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

Try setting them out in the sun all day?

#5 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19243 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:19 PM

Anyway, most of these jars are for tomato sauce or salsa and the lids have a distinct tomato-y smell which is fine for storing the extremely dark roasty grains, but not for the lighter flavored grains.

I would see if canning jar lids fit on them. You can often buy a pack of canning lids fairly cheaply, for example here.

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:17 AM

Once you rinse them in hot water, they will shrink. This cannot be undone and you are left with undersized glass jars.Next time use a cool water rinse as in the manufacturer's washing instructions.:covreyes:OK, all joking aside, I re-use the Classico Atlas Mason jars I get at Costco for caning wort. A few trips through the dishwasher as suggested and should be OK. Naturally I use new lids for this. The original lids have a sealing ring and that could be the problem. If not standard Mason jar thread the plastic wrap technique describe above should work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users