#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31558 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

So in August our Homebrew Club meeting is going to be at Bear Republic Brewing's production brewery. they are going to let us pull off wort directly out of their mash tun in to our brew kettles. They said "At whatever Gravity you wish". :frank: They are also going to open up their hop supply and yeast supply to us and we will brew our beer while there. Just have to bring our equipment to boil, chill, and a fermenter. So first I was curious about how they accommodate the "At whatever gravity you wish". How do the pro guys do that from their mash tun? I'm sure I can find out then, but I thought it would be a good topic of discussion and my curiosity is getting the better of me.Second, I want to make the most out of this opportunity, so I would love you guys to give me a hand with hop selection and yeast selection. :cheers: :chug:eta: It is going to be wort from their Racer 5 mash tun. :cheers:

Edited by badogg, 21 June 2010 - 02:40 PM.

#2 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13086 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

We spent some time at their booth a few years ago at the GABF. Really cool crowd. That should be a blast.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54409 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

Maybe they let you take a thick wort and if you want it "smaller", they add some water to it? If you want it bigger, they just don't dilute it? Just thinking out loud. Sounds like a great, great time and an awesome opportunity. Cheers.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

That sounds really fun. I'd be requesting some Hop Rod Rye wort - about 20 brix preboil. Impy Hot Rod, not that it isn't close anyway......... Posted Image

#5 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

That sounds really fun. I'd be requesting some Hop Rod Rye wort - about 20 brix preboil. Impy Hot Rod, not that it isn't close anyway......... Posted Image

THIS

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31558 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

Yeah, it is going to be a Racer 5 mash.I'm really jazzed about this because I've been really curious as to how the pro's do it compared to a homebrew scale.I'm just not very good at making recipes so I want to make sure I do it right. :frank:

#7 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29340 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:34 PM

So in August our Homebrew Club meeting is going to be at Bear Republic Brewing's production brewery. they are going to let us pull off wort directly out of their mash tun in to our brew kettles. They said "At whatever Gravity you wish". :frank:

My guess is everyone will not get to choose you will line up and someone will get the first 7 gallons of the mash running, then someone else the next etc. If you are early you could always add water if you want a smaller/more beer. You could also blend with others to dial in what you want.If it was me I would try to get early runnings and make a barleywine or something big. You can always make a 1.050 beer but this is a chance to get a high gravity starting wort w/o any effort.A pro brew that I am friends with makes his "homebrew" in a similar way, he has a 15 gallon kettle that he will divert some of the normal wort into and make a homebrew batch of something while brewing his normal beer.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

My "guess" is they'll lauter the whole batch, give you guys some and brew the rest themselves. I'd be interested in finding out how long they mash/mash efficiency. Bet it's pretty short/high. Still sounds like a fun day. I wish some of KC's breweries would do stuff like this.

#9 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun.I would suggest making a list,checking it twice that kind of thing.Hydrometer,measuring equip,,sanitizer(maybe pre-mixed to grade).Access to water,etc,,lots of things to ponder on. :frank:

#10 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

I would guess that they're lautering through an in line densitometer. Depending on their system and techniques the first runnings could be ludicrously high, approaching 30 Plato is not out of the question, but 24-20 is much more likely. Then, as the wort is collected, they could just divert off whenever the runnings reach whatever preboil gravity the homebrewer in question is requesting.

#11 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

Maybe they let you take a thick wort and if you want it "smaller", they add some water to it? If you want it bigger, they just don't dilute it? Just thinking out loud. Sounds like a great, great time and an awesome opportunity. Cheers.

Thats what it sounds like to me. You are very lucky my friend! Wish it were me -----*jealousy*----- :covreyes:

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64155 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

I would guess that they're lautering through an in line densitometer. Depending on their system and techniques the first runnings could be ludicrously high, approaching 30 Plato is not out of the question, but 24-20 is much more likely. Then, as the wort is collected, they could just divert off whenever the runnings reach whatever preboil gravity the homebrewer in question is requesting.

Yeah, that sounds like what they meant. That would be pretty awesome just getting the first runnings off of a bad ass commercial batch. Obviously it all depends on their system, but I'm getting about 23P for my first runnings. That could make a nice american barleywine, I'm sure.

#13 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:26 AM

FWIW, the highest first runnings I've ever made were about 28 Plato for an 11.8% American Barleywine, and on session beers they tend to top out around 21, so 23 is a pretty reasonable expectation for that beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users