#41 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:57 AM

On the price angle...I've bought more commercial brew in the last week than I have in a while, we had guests last weekend and I bought some good stuff for a hiking trip this weekend. Take a look at these prices:Oskar Blues Pils: $9.99/6Founder's Cent. IPA: 12.99/6Wachusett Larry: $5.99/22oz (x2)Oskar Blues Gubna: $15.99/4Victory Storm King: $12.99/6That comes out to an average of $2.50 per 12oz. Granted these are pretty much all high gravity, high hopped beers, but even if I use my own ingredient cost and double it to account for energy cost and other consumables, it still only comes out to 75 cents per 12oz. for a huge, mega hopped IIPA. $2.50/12oz is just plain retarded, but that's what you have to pay nowadays if you want high quality brew.

#42 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54393 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:24 AM

On the price angle...I've bought more commercial brew in the last week than I have in a while, we had guests last weekend and I bought some good stuff for a hiking trip this weekend. Take a look at these prices:Oskar Blues Pils: $9.99/6Founder's Cent. IPA: 12.99/6Wachusett Larry: $5.99/22oz (x2)Oskar Blues Gubna: $15.99/4Victory Storm King: $12.99/6That comes out to an average of $2.50 per 12oz. Granted these are pretty much all high gravity, high hopped beers, but even if I use my own ingredient cost and double it to account for energy cost and other consumables, it still only comes out to 75 cents per 12oz. for a huge, mega hopped IIPA. $2.50/12oz is just plain retarded, but that's what you have to pay nowadays if you want high quality brew.

Agreed. On the one hand, I feel bad for the brewers because they have so many costs and taxes to deal with which is why you pay so damn much for a bottle of beer. OTOH, when you consider how much it actually costs to make beer (inexpensive!) you realize what's going on. It's not terriby expensive to make good beer but all of those additional costs and taxes throw things wildly off. I picked up a 6-pack of some sort of pale ale the other day and when I saw that it was $14.99 for a sixer I immediately put it down. WTF!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users