#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47962 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

Just got 5 of Irish Red into the fermentor. I still have to clean up, but I think it's going to be a half-assed cleanup and finish tomorrow. Should be about six hours by the time I'm done - not too bad considering I had to skip a lot of the mid-boil cleanup I usually do because I was transferring other beers to secondary and keg plus cleaning the fermentor that the Red had to land in.I'm a tad bit irritated by the Red, though. I used JZ's recipe again and it turned out quite a bit darker than I think a Red should be. Promash said it was 19 SRM, and it looked it. Smells a bit too roasty, too. Oh well, I'm sure it will drink well anyway.

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

Roasty? I'm not sure about JZ's recipe, I prefer CaraRed or CaraMunich 60 or 80 vs a Roast character malt. Glad your in the fermenter. Ive left stuff to clean the next day myself....

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:08 AM

I brewed a RyePA after work yesterday too. Got a head start on a long mash at lunchtime though. Headed out the door this morning and realized I never cleaned the kettle..........

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47962 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:10 AM

I brewed a RyePA after work yesterday too. Got a head start on a long mash at lunchtime though. Headed out the door this morning and realized I never cleaned the kettle..........

'Least it's not the mashtun. :rolf:

#5 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

Nice! Brewed a Belgian IPA yesterday. The hydro sample even tasted good!

#6 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

JZs recipes are geared towards winning comps and because of that I think they are geared towards the upper end of every category. In a flight of a style, his recipes are meant to stand out and win the comp. -Just Rambling...

#7 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:22 AM

'Least it's not the mashtun. :cheers:

Ha!One year the first spring brew with the wootown club the prez pulled out our three 150 qt mashtuns.As he unloaded them he said "they might need cleaning."yea, just a tad there Chet!Never cleaned out from the last club brew 6 months ago.Nasty doesn't even begin to describe the condition.That was one detail, I was happy to let the new guys tackle.Turned out a great O'fest with them though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users