13 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

AARRRRRGGGG!!! went to pour a beer and nothing. not sure if it's a keg or what. I did recently put a new beer on tap but I'm not sure if it's that keg or if the other keg has a slow leak or if one of my connections has a leak. ####ing A.

#2 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8253 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:38 AM

Sucks dude, our local gas shop is closed on Sundays not sure about yours. I'm only on one tank too, I think I'll go check out the kegerator for any leaks now...

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

Sucks dude, our local gas shop is closed on Sundays not sure about yours. I'm only on one tank too, I think I'll go check out the kegerator for any leaks now...

tis - it will have to wait until tomorrow. I think I know which keg it is (the one I more recently kegged) b/c it doesn't seem to have much pressure in it. the other isn't doing that great either though so maybe it's part of my tubing from the regulator to the kegs.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

how often do you guys run into leaks in manifolds, tubing connections, ect on stuff that was previously good? I just gave all of my clamps a small twist but none really seemed loose. Is this likely just the keg lid or something not sitting quite right?

#5 mikebrad

mikebrad

Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4038 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

i have had a couple tanks leak out on me and now i just open and close them for each drinking session.

#6 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

how often do you guys run into leaks in manifolds, tubing connections, ect on stuff that was previously good? I just gave all of my clamps a small twist but none really seemed loose. Is this likely just the keg lid or something not sitting quite right?

I had a leak once about a year ago. I went through all the lines and stuff and redid all connections. Havent had a problem since. Sometimes those kegs will leak a little out the lid or the pressure release valve. I usually spray a little star san on the keg after hookup to check. That sucks about you running out of gas. A 2nd co2 bottle is very handy to have. I use it to pressurize kegs after filling and it also acts as my backup in case i run out.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

I had a leak once about a year ago. I went through all the lines and stuff and redid all connections. Havent had a problem since. Sometimes those kegs will leak a little out the lid or the pressure release valve. I usually spray a little star san on the keg after hookup to check. That sucks about you running out of gas. A 2nd co2 bottle is very handy to have. I use it to pressurize kegs after filling and it also acts as my backup in case i run out.

I have been checking the lids and PRV but maybe I haven't been checking them well enough???

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

I have been checking the lids and PRV but maybe I haven't been checking them well enough???

I put my lids on soaking wet with StarSan. Then hit it with 10 - 12 psi. That usually lets me know if there's a problem. If there's a poor seal I watch the bubbles start and then stop. If they don't stop I reseat and use keg lube.Been there before with the leaks though. I haven't had one in at least a couple years. Sometimes tightening those screw hose clamps is just enough to let the threads jump the slots. I really need to switch to Oetickers.That extra tank is almost mandatory if you don't want to get stuck like that. Of course then you can blow through 2 in a day if you just switch and hook up again without figuring out where the leak is. I know............ Once the kinks are worked out you forget about it though. Posted Image

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

I put my lids on soaking wet with StarSan. Then hit it with 10 - 12 psi. That usually lets me know if there's a problem. If there's a poor seal I watch the bubbles start and then stop. If they don't stop I reseat and use keg lube.Been there before with the leaks though. I haven't had one in at least a couple years. Sometimes tightening those screw hose clamps is just enough to let the threads jump the slots. I really need to switch to Oetickers.That extra tank is almost mandatory if you don't want to get stuck like that. Of course then you can blow through 2 in a day if you just switch and hook up again without figuring out where the leak is. I know............ Once the kinks are worked out you forget about it though. Posted Image

I've actually been kegging for a couple of years and this is the first leak I haven't caught :)

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

I've actually been kegging for a couple of years and this is the first leak I haven't caught Posted Image

Just throwing something out there since you seemed to be questioning how well you're checking. Unexpected empty tanks suck.

#11 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:46 AM

I have come to find out I have minor leaks in almost all of my equipment. By minor, I don't really worry about it - my main kegerator has had a 50# tank next to it for about 4 years now (it is past the test date already), and I know there is a small leak in that kegerator that I've tried to find and fix, but I couldn't find it, and it wasn't worth the trouble for me.For other pieces of equipment that I know have more significant leaks, I just turn on the gas when I need it, and close it when I'm done.I have also transitioned to all oetiker clamps for my connections, those worm drive clamps were the source of many issues originally. I still get some leaks, but not nearly as bad as before.I also have over 10 tanks of CO2, so I don't really worry about ever running out of CO2, as I keep most of them filled at any given time. I usually wait till 2 or 3 go empty before refilling, but that still leaves most of the tanks full.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:18 AM

so it turned out being the crappy keg that I bought from B3 a while back. the lid seems to leak but I reseated it and it didn't seem to leak after a couple of minutes under pressure. I won't be leaving the gas on this keg any more though. I also suspect they put a gas post on my liquid QD b/c it can be a real bitch to get the liquid QD on/off this keg. Is there any way to tell?Long story short - that non-refurbed keg I bought at B3 continues to be a POS.

#13 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:45 AM

GAs ball locks have a notch and a thinner latching ring.Pin locks are two pins, instead of three.

#14 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:27 AM

I have two only because my buddy wanted to drink my homebrew. My Co2 tank went dry and I needed to recert my tank it would be about a week before I could get gas. He arrived @ my house w/ a full 20#er. I never asked where he got it but I can guess. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users