#1 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12417 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

I have brewed up an oatmeal stout with plenty of roast barley and added cocoa powder to the mash. In the primary it has a strong coffee-chocolate flavor. Do you guys think that adding some fresh blackberries to secondary would work with the flavor profile, or clash? Was thinking of a couple pounds, just to give it a slight blackberry undertone.I had a blueberry stout a while back (don't remember what brewery), that worked pretty well.

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

I think your idea would work alright. If you had had a blueberry stout and liked it then blackberries should work for you too. I think secondary is a good way to go about it as well. I say try the volume of blackberries you said and let it sit for a week, take a sample and see how the flavor profile matches up for what you want it to be. If its not as strong a flavor add in somemore then too. Good luck sounds interesting to me. Cheers!!

#3 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12417 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

I've done fruit additions in the past with great luck. I think my concern here is the coffee flavor butting heads with the blackberry flavor. The blueberry stout didn't have a very strong roasted flavor, so I'm not sure here. May have to brew a less roasty stout.I know you guys can't tell too much without tasting it, but thought maybe someone on here had made a blackberry stout in the past and had some input.

#4 HB99

HB99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAtkinson, IL, USA

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

I was thinking along the lines that you were...how strong is the coffee/chocolate in the brew already? Trying to overcome those flavors could take a lot more berries than you'd like to buy. Maybe you can use less roast in the next batch and use the berries then?Living in Germany and traveling all over I know there are some relatively crazy ideas out there when it comes to alcohol. I brewed a stout once that I thought had too much roast in it so I blended a glass of it with Dr. Pepper. It was interesting in that the roast flavor was cut and the DP added some sweetness to it. I ended up making a lot of pitchers of these.

#5 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12417 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:23 AM

I brewed the stout with the strong coffee/chocolate intentionally, but didn't plan on adding any fruit to it until the idea popped into my head a few days ago. I may pull the trigger just to see how it turns out. Not really looking to overcome the coffee flavor, but hoping the blackberries compliment it.

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:20 AM

I think it would be good. I mean look at all the fruit flavors they add to coffee these days. I think it'll be good. Only way to know for sure is to make it and then send us all a bottle so we can all taste. :)I think it will be good. :smilielol:

#7 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12417 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

Was at the LHBS today and saw some Blackberry extract flavoring. I'll toss some of this into a small sample to get a feel. If it's good, I'll either use the extract or real blackberries.I'll send you a bottle badogg, if it turns out nice. Maybe a trade?

#8 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

Was at the LHBS today and saw some Blackberry extract flavoring. I'll toss some of this into a small sample to get a feel. If it's good, I'll either use the extract or real blackberries.I'll send you a bottle badogg, if it turns out nice. Maybe a trade?

I could do that, my Belgian Strong turned out pretty good and is finishing up carbing as we speak. Got good reviews by a buddy last night and I'd love another brewers opinion. :shock:

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

Ugh, I thought I responded to this but now I don't see my post.A local brewer here made a Raspberry Mocha Porter (or stout?) that came together really, really well. All of the flavors were detectable but blended well together. Another brewer made a stout with 1½ pounds of fresh raspberries that he grew in the backyard and also used some cherry-infused whiskey in the secondary. Unbelievably good flavor of the dark grains and the fruit intermingling together. I have 3 lbs of fresh blackberries frozen right now (that I plan to thaw, blend, heat to 160° for 20 mins) and I will be adding them to an American Wheat or Blonde ale kind of thing. Good luck with the beer.

#10 OhioMurb

OhioMurb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

I just finished a Blackberry Stout with 3 lb of Oregon puree in the secondary for 7 days.Not wild about it - the blackberries give it a little sour taste - nothing sweet - just a little tart around the edges. Others have tasted it and liked it, but it's not my favorite.Just my 2 cents.

#11 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

I think you'll get a better flavor adding the blackberry (I would smash 'em up and add the juice) to the glass. That way you also have the option of without.Be very careful with the extract. I used to work at a homebrew store, and pretty much all of the extracts we sold tasted artifical and/or medicinal. Perhaps you got a good one though.

#12 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

I'm so confused on the addition of fruit to a beer. I know some say to toss it in the secondary, and I've had some tell me that you should put it in the boil. I guess I need to make a couple of batches of the same brew and see what differences I get. :shock:

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

I'm so confused on the addition of fruit to a beer. I know some say to toss it in the secondary, and I've had some tell me that you should put it in the boil. I guess I need to make a couple of batches of the same brew and see what differences I get. :shock:

This area is fraught with peril. I've made fruit beers with real fruit, frozen fruit, Oregon puree, extracts of various varieties and Kool-aid (no joke). The real fruit can kick up a secondary fermentation that can go on for weeks, drying out the beer. The extracts can taste like dookie and adding the fruit to the boil can burn off and scrub out a lot of the delicate taste you'd like to have in your beer, plus you can set the pectin and create a cloudy, murky mess. I'm trying a beer now with raspberries in the secondary and also one coming up with blackberries.

Be very careful with the extract. I used to work at a homebrew store, and pretty much all of the extracts we sold tasted artifical and/or medicinal. Perhaps you got a good one though.

I notice that the extracts (as bad as they are) can come across better in a darker beer like a porter or stout. Some people here have made some nice beers this way and every time I ask how they got the nice fruit flavor, they say extract. The lighter beers don't seem to support the extract as well. YMMV.

#14 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12417 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:28 PM

I think you'll get a better flavor adding the blackberry (I would smash 'em up and add the juice) to the glass. That way you also have the option of without.

I'm going to try this from a hydro sample first, and if it is good, it'll only be in 5 gallons from a 10 gallon batch, so there will still be an option.

I'm so confused on the addition of fruit to a beer. I know some say to toss it in the secondary, and I've had some tell me that you should put it in the boil.

I've only done fruit in secondary. I do know that fresh homegrown cherries in a wheat doesn't dry out the beer, but does make it delicious.

#15 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12417 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

Just tossed a couple drops in a hydro sample. ....Damn! This is tasty! I think I'mma use the extract. I let the wife try it without knowing about me playing with it. She detected the berry, but said it was just subtle enough and didn't overpower the beer.Badogg, PM your addy! It'll be a while before it's ready, but I'll ship one your way when it is.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:03 PM

Was your Blackberry extract Crosby & Baker or LD Carlson (or something else)? I have noticed that the Crosby & Baker extracts seem to have a little more oomph to them. I was in the LHBS recently and picked up a bottle of LD Carlson blueberry extract. It was clear and when I smelled it, there was almost no aroma at all. Nearby was the Crosby & Baker extracts and the blueberry was dark blue/purple and when I took a whiff it was like a real, natural blueberry exploded up my nose. Maybe C&B has done something here that improves on the history of LHBS extracts. I haven't seen all of the flavors, but I plan to hit the LHBS again this week and investigate. Cheers.

#17 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12417 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:10 AM

LD Carlson, and I'm pretty sure it's been sitting on the shelf for a good while. Still has a powerful aroma though.

#18 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

I wouldnt mind a small taste at Mugs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users