#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

I know the answer is "It depends", but how long does a 5 lb CO2 canister last you on average?When I took my rig to the golf course for the charity tournament someone moved it without asking me and they dropped the gas on the pressure gauge on the end. Not the end of the world, they are cheap and can be replaced. I tried to replace it two nights ago and I can't get the ####ing thing threaded. I think the one I bought is threaded the opposite way, which is strange because its supposed to be exactly the same as the one on the reg. So I am guessing at how much gas I have left now until I can fix this stupid thing. I have only used it to carbonate 3 kegs so far and have had some noob losses as well.Cheers,Rich

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54049 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Yeah, really hard to say. I have three 5lb tanks. 2 of them are split between my 4 kegs and I have another one that I use for carbonating. So 2 of them sit at 8-10 psi all the time (when one goes, I use the backup tank in the serving fridge and refill the empty tank which then becomes my carbing tank) and the other one is used to seal & carbonate kegs. I wish I could say for sure, but I would guess that I go to the gas-refilling-type-person 4 times a year. Ish.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

Funny thing is that it will look like it is fine for the longest time, but when it decides to drop to empty, it does it almost immediately. I keep a second tank on hand for just such occasions.

#4 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

Volumes of CO2 * 2 = grams per literSo figure out how many volumes of CO2 you carbonated each keg with, multiply by 38 (19 liters * 2) and that's how many grams you used. Then convert to pounds and sum the 3 kegs together. Subtract that from 5 and you'll get what is left in the tank, approximately of course.

#5 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

Yeah, some are "RHT" right hand thread and some are LHT. It should say on the gauge.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

There should be a tare weight stamped on the tank. Remove the reg and weigh it - anything over tare is CO2. Here's a link too, I think that is for steel tanks.https://www.beverage...Tank FAQs.shtmlNot dumb, I was asking this last year.

#7 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Oh yeah, tare weight, much better approach :)I just went with the standard answer I use for "how many kegs are in a tank?"

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

Oh yeah, tare weight, much better approach :)I just went with the standard answer I use for "how many kegs are in a tank?"

Admit it Chuck, you were just showing off! :stabby: Haven't seen you around much. What's new?

#9 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

Haha, I have too many formulas in my head... :stabby: I must admit that the tare weight is a much more elegant and accurate solution to knowing how much is left.Right now I'm trying to learn how one finds commercial space in New York. A totally new process to me... anyone know how to find warehouse space in the city? :)

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

Haha, I have too many formulas in my head... :stabby: I must admit that the tare weight is a much more elegant and accurate solution to knowing how much is left.Right now I'm trying to learn how one finds commercial space in New York. A totally new process to me... anyone know how to find warehouse space in the city? :)

PM me... I may know someone who knows someone who knows someone. Just need a few details as to size, location, purpose and budget.

#11 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:28 PM

Nice Chuck!Just from our short conversation I can tell you have a passion for beer, and the knowledge to make something great! I'm thinking NY would be happy to receive some of your brews!

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64066 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:45 AM

I know the answer is "It depends", but how long does a 5 lb CO2 canister last you on average?When I took my rig to the golf course for the charity tournament someone moved it without asking me and they dropped the gas on the pressure gauge on the end. Not the end of the world, they are cheap and can be replaced. I tried to replace it two nights ago and I can't get the ####ing thing threaded. I think the one I bought is threaded the opposite way, which is strange because its supposed to be exactly the same as the one on the reg. So I am guessing at how much gas I have left now until I can fix this stupid thing. I have only used it to carbonate 3 kegs so far and have had some noob losses as well.Cheers,Rich

The short answer is that 5lb of CO2 will carbonate 138 gallons of beer to 2.2 volumes, theoretically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users