#1 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

What would be the problem with using this pump to transfer sparge water or mash runnings?

#2 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12445 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

I like this thread. Is there something with March pumps that makes them food grade? I've been looking into getting a pump, but don't know anything about them.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

There is something about the march pumps and being magnetic and heat tolerant I think. I too am going to pay attention to this thread for the final answers. :)

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48101 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

It doesn't say what kind of pump it is, but since it is self-priming I would suspect it is positive displacement. However, taking a look at the manual and parts list shows an "impeller", so I'm not sure. Flow rate is a little low - about half a March 809. I'd find the 12V power annoying, but not a deal breaker. The biggest concern is the direct dive and the seals, plus whether the seals are rated for higher temps. It's cheap though...tempting. You might try emailing them with questions.

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

It doesn't say what kind of pump it is, but since it is self-priming I would suspect it is positive displacement. However, taking a look at the manual and parts list shows an "impeller", so I'm not sure. Flow rate is a little low - about half a March 809. I'd find the 12V power annoying, but not a deal breaker. The biggest concern is the direct dive and the seals, plus whether the seals are rated for higher temps. It's cheap though...tempting. You might try emailing them with questions.

I think 3 gallons per minute is more than enough for sparge/recirc. Most people choke down their 809 with a valve.Heat would be my biggest concern.

#6 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48101 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

I think 3 gallons per minute is more than enough for sparge/recirc. Most people choke down their 809 with a valve.Heat would be my biggest concern.

What it's made of would be mine. You need to find out if it's all stainless or if there are zinc or galvanized parts in contact with the fluid inside. If so, it's no good. Zinc and wort don't mix.

#7 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:50 PM

What it's made of would be mine. You need to find out if it's all stainless or if there are zinc or galvanized parts in contact with the fluid inside. If so, it's no good. Zinc and wort don't mix.

Might be a good pump if you just want to pump from HLT to MLT though. Just hot water.eta: or maybe for HERMS recirc?

Edited by badogg, 09 June 2010 - 01:52 PM.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

Off the top of my head I would be concerned about flow control and a power source. I assume trying to throttle that pump with a valve on either side might be a problem and you need a 12v supply with enough amps to run it. I'm no electric moto guru though........

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68767 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

I posted the same pump back 3 years ago on the board of green, and was told not to bother, by 2 brewers who had tried them and found them not worthy.I never actually tried on myself .

#10 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25682 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

Off the top of my head I would be concerned about flow control and a power source. I assume trying to throttle that pump with a valve on either side might be a problem and you need a 12v supply with enough amps to run it. I'm no electric moto guru though........

Not all electric motors can take getting the voltage dropped down to lower the RPM.If this was a motor you could run at 6 VDC or something like like that, getting a 0-12 VDC @ 7.5 Amps is not a cheap proposition or small task to build.zymot

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:29 AM

I posted the same pump back 3 years ago on the board of green, and was told not to bother, by 2 brewers who had tried them and found them not worthy.I never actually tried on myself .

I was going to refer to that, beat me to it.These might be vane pumps. In which case they have a silicon lube in them.

#12 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

I think the stainless housing is so that it won't corrode when pumping salt water. It's a marine pump. I think zink would corrode with salt water,so I doubt they use it. But I have no way of knowing for sure.

Choking it down with a valve shouldn't be a problem, its how I control my march 809. I wouldn't try regulating it electronically.

I was going to refer to that, beat me to it.These might be vane pumps. In which case they have a silicon lube in them.

Would silicone lube be a problem? Fermcap is silicone.

#13 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

... Would silicone lube be a problem? Fermcap is silicone.

Silicone lube from China of unknown origin.Do you REALLY want that in your beer?

#14 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

...............Choking it down with a valve shouldn't be a problem, its how I control my march 809. I wouldn't try regulating it electronically........

The 809 has that magnetic clutch though. I'm assuming this pump is direct drive - really don't know.

#15 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8917 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

It's direct drive and it is a vane pump- there's a schematic on one of the tabs. You can't throttle it down (at least not for long:)), and it probably isn't designed to run at 180F.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users