#21 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26210 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:37 AM

The frosted glasses are to keep the taste panalists from evaluating the beer on sight.MolBasser

I figured that, but couldn't figure out why The way a beer looks wouldn't be important on a commercial scale. The whole you taste with your eyes first thing. Unless you are just controlling for that variable for some unknown reason.

#22 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:09 AM

Do you guys really keep your hops out in the open like this or is this temporary storage?

Although I saw bales of hops still wrapped up in what looked to be a cotton cloth, there were several bins open. The room, however is refridgerated and cold. My glasses fogged up immediately on exiting the room. the smell however was incredible. IIRC, Basser said each bale was 200 pounds. I forgot to ask how much goes into each boil kettle, but its whole leaf hops so I would expect that they actually go through it pretty quickly.

#23 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

How many cameras were there? :blush:Seriously, looks like a great time.

I nearly missed this comment! :facepalm: :unsure: :covreyes:

#24 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

Do you guys really keep your hops out in the open like this or is this temporary storage?

I'm sure they go through enough hops each day where storage really isn't a problem. Especially being that the stack of kegs that he said that one of the fermenter's fills up and they brew three times that much each day. They must go through a shit load of hops there. I would be curious how many pounds of hops they put in to a single batch of SNPA as well as how many gallons one of those batches is.I envy basser, he works at a VERY cool place.

#25 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

I'm sure they go through enough hops each day where storage really isn't a problem. Especially being that the stack of kegs that he said that one of the fermenter's fills up and they brew three times that much each day. They must go through a shit load of hops there. I would be curious how many pounds of hops they put in to a single batch of SNPA as well as how many gallons one of those batches is.I envy basser, he works at a VERY cool place.

Basser put the capacity of one of the large fermenters in perspective... if you drank a 12 Pack every day for 64 years, you would (assuming your liver didn't give out) finish the beer produced by just one of the primary fermentation tanks. And... IIRC, the beer ferments in primary for 4 to 6 days, at which point it can be turned over again.

#26 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

Basser put the capacity of one of the large fermenters in perspective... if you drank a 12 Pack every day for 64 years, you would (assuming your liver didn't give out) finish the beer produced by just one of the primary fermentation tanks. And... IIRC, the beer ferments in primary for 4 to 6 days, at which point it can be turned over again.

That's a lot of Carboy's. :blush:

#27 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:37 AM

That's a lot of Carboy's. :blush:

Yeah... one 5 gallon carboy would be 4 days worth of beer!

#28 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:53 AM

What is this thing?

This is the inside of the east brewhouse lauter. The rake is what keeps the flow of wort even and also is used to remove spent grains. The tube above it is the sparge arm. It rotates in a circle to sprinkle sparge water on the lauter bed.

They are just there for a day or so at most as we brew with them.MolBasser

#29 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:55 AM

I figured that, but couldn't figure out why The way a beer looks wouldn't be important on a commercial scale. The whole you taste with your eyes first thing. Unless you are just controlling for that variable for some unknown reason.

It is important, but there are certain times when you do not want panalists to judge on sight.MolBasser

#30 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:06 AM

Each batch on the west side (main production) brewhouse is 200 barrels or so (usually 214-218 actually) which 6600 gallons or so.We brew about 16 brews a day, so that is 3200 barrels or so which is ~ 100,000 gallons of beer.Each brew gets roughly 150 pounds of hops.MolBasser

#31 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

Awesome pictures and pretty awesome of Basser to offer the private tour. I was once given a private tour of DFH... it was one of the highpoints of my life honestly.I'm going to be passing through Chico this October. Maybe I'll have to give you a call :blush:

#32 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

Awesome pictures and pretty awesome of Basser to offer the private tour. I was once given a private tour of DFH... it was one of the highpoints of my life honestly.I'm going to be passing through Chico this October. Maybe I'll have to give you a call :blush:

FTFYFunny thing is, I thought I could have done better with the pictures and gotten much much more.

Edited by Deerslyr, 08 June 2010 - 10:29 AM.

#33 HERMSman

HERMSman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

Where's the photo of the Torpedo?My new favorite beer. I have gone through at least six cases since the release. :blush:

#34 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

Where's the photo of the Torpedo?My new favorite beer. I have gone through at least six cases since the release. :blush:

There were some things I couldn't take pictures of, and there were some questions Basser wouldn't answer beyond a very lawyerly vague "yes we use hops"...Just kidding (sort of)... in all honesty, I forgot to take the camera out when he showed us the torpedo, so I don't know if he would have nixed a photo.

#35 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

Just to second or third this, it is really awesome that Basser does this. Thanks a lot holmes.*starts awkward clapping for round of applause* :blush: :facepalm:

#36 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

He did say that all those kegs represents about 1 days brew. I would guess that they go through a hopper of hops every day, so I doubt those would go stale.Cheers,Rich

#37 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

He did say that all those kegs represents about 1/3 days brew. I would guess that they go through a hopper of hops every day, so I doubt those would go stale.Cheers,Rich

FTFY... :blush:The hops are never in the bins long enough to stale.MolBasser

#38 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:51 PM

Just to second or third this, it is really awesome that Basser does this. Thanks a lot holmes.*starts awkward clapping for round of applause* :facepalm: :unsure:

I'll fourth this. I had a great time last year during his tour. Now if I ever get my pictures up :blush:

#39 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:28 AM

Molbasser, If its not too confidential what kind of mash efficiency does your brewery get? and does it change much by the style(s)of beer?

#40 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:35 AM

What ever happened to the guy with the mullet that was working there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users