#1 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8265 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:22 AM

For those who have chest freezer with collars, what did you use to attach the collar to the freezer? I'm guessing a construction adhesive like liquid nail would do the trick, then I plan to use silicone caulk to seal up the interior seams. Anyone have any recommendations?

#2 sleepy

sleepy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:33 AM

I just put mine together last weekend. I attached the lid to the collar with the original hinges, and then bought another set of hinges to attach the collar to the freezer using the original holes.

#3 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:58 AM

I've read that people just set the lid on. No liquid glue, no 2nd hinges.I plan to run a bead of silicon before setting the wood down. That should be enough. It's not like you are moving it around all the time.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:38 AM

Silicone caulk to hold it in place, seal the edges and inside metal seams. I ended up splicing the cord that went to the light in the lid - needed the extra length with the collar.

#5 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8265 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:47 AM

Silly-cone it is then, thanks for the feedback fellas!!

#6 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

I used multiple strips of thin weather stripping on the top of the freezer lip. This created a seal similar to any refrigerator, no leaks what so ever. This gives you the option of removing the collar if you need to move the freezer or to clean it. Today and about once a year I take the collar off let the freezer come up to room temp and give it a good cleaning. I used silicone on all the joints as well.

#7 mikebrad

mikebrad

Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4038 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

i just line the bottom of the collar with a little foam weather strip tape and set it on there then attach the lid hinges to the collar. it keeps it sealed and is nice and clean.eta - it says on because the collar has a 2 inch lip around the front and sides that comes down over the freezer

Edited by mikebrad, 05 June 2010 - 09:01 AM.

#8 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48095 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:23 AM

Like everyone else said, I set it on weatherstripping and used silicone after it was in place. An important point about that, though, is that the thing needs to be made to fit tight with an outside lip that fits down over the freezer edge. It needs to be unable to slide sideways.

#9 jasonrobertcohen

jasonrobertcohen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

All I attached was the lid to the collar. I ran weatherstripping along the collar to freezer interface. It shift around on top only if I intentionally move it, otherwise it stays put just fine. I considered running supports down the front corners, inside the freezer, just to keep it from moving side to side, but it really hasn't been a problem.jrc

#10 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

I'm taking my collar off today for a cleaning, I snapped some photo's of my set up. As George said the collar shouldn't be able to slide off easily. My collar is made of 2x6 and 1x8. The 2x6 sits on top of the gray stripping, the 1x8 is attached to the 2x6 and extends below the lip of the freezer. I did have to cut a small slot out of the back of the 1x8 due to the freezer lock. You can't see this slot when the collar is in place. The extra 1x8 makes a solid seal and it's impossible to move.Also, I would silicone all the bottom seams and corners too. When I was building mine some people had said the seams and corners were rusting a bit. The silicone seal will keep and moisture from collecting there.Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

Mine's ~14.8 cf. The front's much wider than the sides. I'm really glad I put the taps on the short side - 4 and room for one more. It keeps the taps and shanks out of the way when switching kegs (for the most part). Guess it wouldn't matter that much on a smaller one though.

#12 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

I just put mine together last weekend. I attached the lid to the collar with the original hinges, and then bought another set of hinges to attach the collar to the freezer using the original holes.

This is what I did when I had a cdhest freezer.

#13 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

Gravity, but the lid just sat on the collar. Beware drilling holes into the freezer, The heating and cooling coils are right there at the rim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users