• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HOPAZ

HOPAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:17 AM

Just got some hops in the post and was in the process of makin a Bell's 2 Hearted Clone. All Centennial. But the recipe is using an AA of 11% and mine are 6%. Can I just up the amount to get to the prescribed IBU of 50something or is there a detrimental problem with that? Just curious if the aroma was on some sort of AA ratio or not. I am a bit leery of creating something that is bitter enough but has twice the aroma character of what I'm trying to accomplish. This science stuff just baffles me.Thanks,J

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:54 AM

Just got some hops in the post and was in the process of makin a Bell's 2 Hearted Clone. All Centennial. But the recipe is using an AA of 11% and mine are 6%. Can I just up the amount to get to the prescribed IBU of 50something or is there a detrimental problem with that? Just curious if the aroma was on some sort of AA ratio or not. I am a bit leery of creating something that is bitter enough but has twice the aroma character of what I'm trying to accomplish. This science stuff just baffles me.Thanks,J

I'd probably just increase the 60 min addition stuff to get the IBUs where you want them and leave the flavor/aroma additions the same.

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48068 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

I'd probably just increase the 60 min addition stuff to get the IBUs where you want them and leave the flavor/aroma additions the same.

I agree.(You have Centennial at 6 IBU's? That's some of the lowest I've ever seen - in Cascade range. Where'd you get it?)

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

+1 to the above. I also agree that 6% for Centennial is crazy low. Very odd.If you want to try to maintain the same level of bitterness, a good first order approximation is to adjust the bittering hops to maintain the same AAU level (AAU means alpha acid units and it's the same as HBU, home brew bittering units but NOT the same as AA or IBUs). Here's how you do it.If the recipe called for 2 oz. of 11% Centennial, that's 11 x 2 = 22 AAUs. So if you have 6% Centennials, you need 22 / 6 = 3 2/3 oz. to produce roughly the same amount of bitterness. Keep all the aroma hops the same.

#5 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

When I started brewing (about 7 years ago) centennials were running around 12%, now mine are down to 8.9%. Seems pretty standard across the board too :frank:

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

When I started brewing (about 7 years ago) centennials were running around 12%, now mine are down to 8.9%. Seems pretty standard across the board too :frank:

wow - that's a pretty significant drop.

#7 HOPAZ

HOPAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

(You have Centennial at 6 IBU's? That's some of the lowest I've ever seen - in Cascade range. Where'd you get it?)[/quote]I got them at Nikobrew. Whilst looking around a little more I've run across some that were as low as 5%.

#8 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

[quote name='HOPAZ' date='05 June 2010 - 02:24 PM' timestamp='1275765847' post='410486'](You have Centennial at 6 IBU's? That's some of the lowest I've ever seen - in Cascade range. Where'd you get it?)[/quote]I got them at Nikobrew. Whilst looking around a little more I've run across some that were as low as 5%.[/quote]Wow! I've never seen that. The lowest I've seen was about 7.5. I would question whether you got Cascades in place of Cents. It just doesn't seem right... :frank:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users