• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MastaMash

MastaMash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

Looks like I'm probably going to be in Chicago for later this month. First time I've ever been. Naturally I plan to take in a game at Wrigley, but I'll also need a good brewery or two to stop into. Goose Island is the only one that I'm familiar with so I thought I'd check to see if you guys had any "can't miss" breweries.

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

Looks like I'm probably going to be in Chicago for later this month. First time I've ever been. Naturally I plan to take in a game at Wrigley, but I'll also need a good brewery or two to stop into. Goose Island is the only one that I'm familiar with so I thought I'd check to see if you guys had any "can't miss" breweries.

Two Brothers in Warrenville, ILWestern Suburb of Chi...I would say the beer is better than Goose Island, I may be biased though since Warrenville is my hometown.

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:05 PM

Chi-town has been the place to go it seems! I was there in April. Here is a link (from the PH) with some good spots. Good beer in Chicago

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:06 PM

Chi-town has been the place to go it seems! I was there in April. Here is a link (from the PH) with some good spots. Good beer in Chicago

yep I am actually making the drive starting tonight.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

not a brewery but I did enjoy the chicago brauhaus the couple of times I went there. all german beers, all german food!

#6 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

Goose Island's original brewpub location is on Clybourn, near Siebel. I like this location more than their Wrigleyville spot.Rock Bottom downtown is one of the best RB's in the country in my opinion, although Pete Crowley left and is opening his own place which I think is not yet open unfortunately for you.Metropolitan is new.Half Acre is fairly new.Piece is a pizza joint with it's own beers.Local Option is a nice beer bar near DePaul.The Hop Leaf, another beer bar I kind of don't like. It's way overpriced but lots of other people like it. I mean, $10/12 for a PB&J sandwich, seriously? Also it is way out of the way.The Map Room is another decent beer bar...If you get there tonight, go to GI's brewpub for Thirst Fursday, Chicago Beer Society meeting.Flossmore Station is another brewery, though I vaguely remember any of their beers.If you're not from the midwest definitely hit up one of the beer bars so you can sample the regional brews like Two Brothers, Three Floyd's, Bell's, etc.Edit: Oh, and I be remiss to not mention The Publican. Fantastic food, and good beers! If you are looking for a high class and amazing dining experience, go there.

#7 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

I will cast another vote for the Map Room - good beer bar, always has something on tap that I haven't had before.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54325 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

I happen to like the Wrigleyville location of Goose Island (just S. on Clark from the park) and since it's warm, they have a beer garden too. There is also the Hofbrauhaus a little further S. on Clark. I agree with all of the others mentioned. You'll have a good time, for sure. Also, if you plan to shop & pack stuff fot the trip home, look for a Binny's. They have a giant beer selection and you might find something that you can't ordinarily get. Cheers and have a great time.

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

I second everything already said; especially the trip to a Binny's. They have a great selection. Try to make it to one in the city though, the South Loop one is probably the best.Oh, And I prefer the Clyborn Goose Island over the Wrigleyville one because they have a better selection (at least the last time I was there they did).

#10 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

"The Publican Lagunitas Beer Dinner this Sunday, June 6th! 5:00pm-9:00pm. 4 courses, 5 beers, $60/guest (not inclusive of sales tax or gratuity). Call 312.733.9555 for reservations!!"

#11 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:02 AM

Piece brews some great beers, Flossmoor Station's beers are among my absolute favorites. The Map Room was very cool on my one visit, as was the Publican. Two Brothers puts out some very tasty beers, as well. You'll have plenty of good to great options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users