#1 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:33 AM

I have 2 sponges dedicated to brewing. One I use in the iodophor solution and the other I use in the PLC solution for cleaning. I started using sponges 'cause that's what the instruction from my LHBS said to use. But the last sponges I got from the grocery store are disintegrating already and they leave bits behind in the cleaning and sanitizing buckets. What do y'all use to wipe stuff down? Sponges? Washcloths? Sham-Wow!? Other? Is there a good place to buy good quality sponges that won't disintegrate? This is kind of a cheezy topic but I've never seen it discussed before. Maybe we can turn it into an epic soak -vs- wipe flame war. :huh:

#2 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

I bought some nice size washcloths that i use just for brewing.

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

I get the econo-packs of the green scotch-brite pads. They work great for light duty scrubbing which is all I usually need in the brewery.

#4 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

I clean as I use stuff, so I really have no need for scrubbing. If needed, ill soak in the Oxyclean or something like that. Once in a great while, ill use a scrubby on the bottom of my brew kettle, but thats pretty rare. For wiping, I have several towels of questionable quality that I use on brewday, wiping things down as I go.

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16543 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

I use the synthetic chamois. Use them with BKF on all SS and PBW on all plastic. Works great and no worries about scratching.

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

If I neglect equipment, I soak it in Oxyclean for a few days and then use a Bounty Paper Towel. That stuff is like a cloth and it doesn't scratch anything. It holds up like a champ and you really only need to fold a couple together to get a really good, disposable towel.

#7 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMosul, Iraq for now stationed at Ft Stewart, Ga trying to go to Ft Lewis, Wa

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

While I have never brewed anything and have therefore not yet cleaned my first piece of brew equipment has anyone tried a Shop Towel? They are kind of pricey but one will last for quite a while. Just a thought! :frank:

#8 mikebrad

mikebrad

Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4038 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

i only scrub one thing and that is my conical which i use a green scotch pad on. everything else soaks in onestep/pbw/oxyclean.

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

I clean as I use stuff, so I really have no need for scrubbing. If needed, ill soak in the Oxyclean or something like that. Once in a great while, ill use a scrubby on the bottom of my brew kettle, but thats pretty rare. For wiping, I have several towels of questionable quality that I use on brewday, wiping things down as I go.

+1

#10 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

Are you sponge worthy?MolBasser

#11 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

Sponges are the #1 source of bacteria in a kitchen. For that reason and the fact bits of them tend to come off if you scrape them on an edge, I choose not to use them. I'm a fan of wash cloths and towels. After a brew day they go right in with the next load of laundry. I have a medium size towel that I use to cover my kettle during cooling. I'll throw this towel in my Starsan bucket at knockout, once I get below DMS temps I'll ring the crap out of it and cover the opening of the kettle. After the kettle is emptied it gets used to wipe the hop/protien ring and bottom of the kettle down. This method has worked great for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users