#1 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

This is just a bump to remind everyone that this month's beer pass will assign pairings on the 7th. That's less than a week away!I've only gotten a yes from: DaBearSox, Thirsty, and kernelpanic. I also think JKoravos is in to since he has been active in the thread, although I don't think he has said he is in officially. If anyone wants to sign up please do so in the pinned thread!

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

I'm definitely in. Hopefully more people jump in, too!C'mon guys, here's a great chance for feedback on your brews!

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

I'm definitely in. Hopefully more people jump in, too!C'mon guys, here's a great chance for feedback on your brews!

How many beers do we trade? Do you guys have a foolproof shipping method?

#4 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

How many beers do we trade? Do you guys have a foolproof shipping method?

I have shipped a gazillion times with UPS with no issues. Claiming it is "soda extract syrup" or "yeast samples" gets it shipped with no questions asked. A tightly packed box is best, then put that in a slightly larger box with cushioning surrounding it. That will guarantee a safe delivery. As far as the amount to send. We ask a minimum of 4 homebrews, but if you really want to participate and do not have that much to spare, you can sub in some local hard to get micros, but HB is preferred. JK mentioned in another thread trying to send as much as a 12pk, but I personally feel we should limit the amount of generosity. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be on the receiving end of a fat package, and I have been the recipient of many generous passers in the past, however there are some that can only afford to release 4-6 from stock comfortably, and if you draw an address across the country, the shipping can really add up. I would suggest the 4-5 traditional, another 1-2 if you have something in stock you really want to share, or have some unbelievable locals you want to include on top of your personal offering. If it gets much more than that it may make some feel uncomfortable and "cheap" if they cannot equal their sender's generosity. This may also encourage more people to jump in on this pass, we haven't done one in awhile, getting a good bunch together maybe best, the more the merrier! :smilielol:

#5 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:55 AM

Work is friggin nuts for me right now, but if my swapee is willing to have a little patience and know I WILL come through, I have some good stuff right now and interested.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:58 AM

So I have dunkelweizen and old ale bottled right now. I'm not so sure filling a bottle from the keg would ship well since I don't have a bottling gun.

#7 Poobah58

Poobah58

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNew Milford, CT

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:15 AM

I'm in...

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

So I have dunkelweizen and old ale bottled right now. I'm not so sure filling a bottle from the keg would ship well since I don't have a bottling gun.

If the beer is cold, the bottle is cold and pressure is low, it will come out perfect. Just fill it to the brim and cap it. As far as the numbers go, ship at least four. That's it. If you want to ship more that's up to you. I prefer to send more, but that's my own preference. No one should feel bad about not sending X number of beers, nor should anyone be upset if they "only" get X number of bottles.

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

Sorry Guys, I know I put this post up and thanks to Thirsty for answering the questions.And yes, the MINIMUM is four beers, Homebrew is preferred. If you can't meet that with homebrew you can probably sub it for local beer. it is VITAL that you contact who you are paired with from the beginning and talk with them about what you will be shipping. Also, if you can spare more then send whatever you are comfortable with. I usually send 4-5 homebrews and 1-3 local micros.It is also VERY important that after you receive someone's beer that you send them a message with a constructive opinion of the beers. I'm hoping more people join. Looks like Zym is on the fence, and I've received ChefLamont's beers before and know he would make a great addition to this pass.to all you nay sayers, I have two strong words for you...Come on!My link

#10 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

4 different beers or 2 and 2?

#11 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:19 AM

4 different beers or 2 and 2?

Honestly it's up to you...it would probably be preferred (for you and the receiver) that you said different stuff for the feedback. I usually send 6 and most of the time i have 6 different styles sittin in my cellar.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:34 AM

Since I have no idea if my stuff is any good maybe I should let JK try some tonight before I commit :huh:

#13 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Since I have no idea if my stuff is any good maybe I should let JK try some tonight before I commit :huh:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if you think your beer isn't great, the person who receives it may be able to give suggestions on how to make it better. One part of this beer pass is to help people who don't have a traditional club so they can make the best beer possible. I will say, I've participated a lot on the "other" board and although I've gotten some less than stellar beers, I've never received a bad beer!

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

First, I WILL be trying your beer tonight. :devil:Second, the point of this thing is to learn, not to have another homebrewer massage your ego. You'll never know where you are unless you let other people taste it and give you feedback.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

First, I WILL be trying your beer tonight. :huh:Second, the point of this thing is to learn, not to have another homebrewer massage your ego. You'll never know where you are unless you let other people taste it and give you feedback.

but my ego had a long day and is really tense.I get what you are saying but I'm just hoping to know that I'm not going to disappoint someone when they get my beer.

#16 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

but my ego had a long day and is really tense.I get what you are saying but I'm just hoping to know that I'm not going to disappoint someone when they get my beer.

you won't disappoint anyone...i have sent experimental beers and such i didn't think were that good like my pb&j porter...if you really feel like you will though send a bottle or two of local stuff in the package.

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

I had three of zym's beers last night. They were all really tasty. I think he's been pulling our leg with this "I'm not sure if my beer is any good" act. He knows what he's doing.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

I had three of zym's beers last night. They were all really tasty. I think he's been pulling our leg with this "I'm not sure if my beer is any good" act. He knows what he's doing.

Thanks JK. :cheers: Just curious - what has the shipping cost been like for some of you guys? make sure to mention how many bottles and from where to where it was shipped. I'm just trying to get a sense b/c I'm a cheap SOB :huh:

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:45 PM

~$12-$15 for me. I don't remember the exact numbers. I've shipped to Ohio, Illinois and Colorado.

#20 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

I think the most I've spent was $16. That was across the country too!Once again, If someone wants to step in to take part in the beer pass, you should simply respond with an "I'm in" in the official June Beer Pass Thread. Not in this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users