#1 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

Besides me? I do not have a pump. I'd love to get one but it was never real high on my priorities. When I had the cash I never thought buying one.Since I use gravity I set up my kettle and my mashtun in the bed of my truck, this way I can gravity feed right into the fermemnter which I have set-up in a wagon. It requires some lifting from the mashtun to the kettle but nothing too terrible. I keep a single stepstool by my tire to get the height I require to peer into the kettle.I chill with a plate chiller and due to the restiction I use 1/4" ID tubing. But the outflow of the ball valve on the kettle is 1/2". I overlooked this on my first run and ran around looking for a solution, my grant.It is actually a 1 gallon coffee perculator never used to brew coffee but to heat water. I removed the basket, and the spout, and found a 4"x 1/4" brass nipple and it threads right in with no gasket required. To this I attached my tubing to my chiller. The thing works like a champ. I gravity feed into the grant full bore until it fills then thottle back until an even rate is reached. This gives me the advantage of hopping right as I am going into the fermenter which gives an incredible face full of Hop aroma whist drinking.I have been using this method for several years and while I really wish I had a pump the grant really has a nice advantage.I know CJnJ used one at one time anyone else?

#2 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:43 AM

Initial grant rough locating in design phase.Posted ImageAfter hydro forming the bottom (don't ask). This knocked out the bottom detent.Posted ImageThe final frame before decking. Grant is on the right.Posted ImageFletch warned me this 2 quarter was too small and I needed a gallon.He was right, what can I say.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:10 AM

I've thought about including one in my next system design. I'm still up in the air about it.

#4 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26199 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:37 AM

it seems the OP is referring to a hopback instead of a grant since he is running it between the BK and the fermenter. I always thought that grants were typically used between the MLT and the pump to keep the pump from compacting the grain bed. Am I confused, or is it just a term used described to describe a small vessel?

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16543 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

it seems the OP is referring to a hopback instead of a grant since he is running it between the BK and the fermenter. I always thought that grants were typically used between the MLT and the pump to keep the pump from compacting the grain bed. Am I confused, or is it just a term used described to describe a small vessel?

Your right. But a grant can be used anywhere in the system where the flow to the input of a pump is slow as not to starve the pump. But technically its used between the MT and Kettle. I built a Grant/Hopback. Its portable so I can use it after the MT or the Kettle. I also use it to form a loop of PBW and/or Starsan to clean and sanitize my Plate or CFC.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

I have a 2 gallon one that is 90% completed. Never used it on a brew day. I did use it to keep a transplanted hop watered over a long weekend I was out of town. Just set it by the plant and left it on a slow drip. It's still alive and growingPosted Image

#7 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

You are right I use the grant as a hopback. In my case I use the "grant" due to the lack of fittings. Ideally I should have a 1/2" NPT- 1/4" Barb then hook my hose straight to the kettle. By running my system the way I do I run the risk of infection by having an "open" enviroment. Also, I can introduce possible oxidation by the wort splashing from the kettle to the "grant/hopback" then from the chiller to the fermenter. Although, it hasn't occured in the years I have run it like I do doesn't mean that I haven't had noticable oxidation problems or wont create an infection.But yeah, your right :smilielol:

#8 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

... But yeah, your right :smilielol:

Would that be your left then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users