16 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:00 AM

My hop plants seem generally healthy but a lot of my lower leaves are getting munched on by something and some of them have brown edges on them. There are also holes in the leaves. Up top there are some holes but not nearly as many. I've been trying to find some bugs living on the plant but I can't find them. What can I do??

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:39 AM

My hop plants seem generally healthy but a lot of my lower leaves are getting munched on by something and some of them have brown edges on them. There are also holes in the leaves. Up top there are some holes but not nearly as many. I've been trying to find some bugs living on the plant but I can't find them. What can I do??

I tend to get the same thing. I wonder about it too, but I suspect slugs as far as what is eating them. The browning I'd think has something to do with nutrients they're not getting. But I'm just guessing.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

I tend to get the same thing. I wonder about it too, but I suspect slugs as far as what is eating them. The browning I'd think has something to do with nutrients they're not getting. But I'm just guessing.

the browning seems to be on damaged leaves. These slugs must get busy b/c there are some holes pretty high up (10-12').

#4 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31556 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

spider mites? aphids?

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

spider mites? aphids?

I couldn't find anything that looked like those on the leaves unless they go into hiding during the day time.

#6 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

Usually the slugs/snails around my yard eat from the margin of the leaf inwards. If I see holes in the middle of the leaf somewhere then I usually suspect bugs. We probably have different bugs where I am so I can't be much help other than that.

#7 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

aphids are my primary culprit for tons of tiny holes in the leaves even pretty high up, they are hard to see also as they are tiny and sometimes green. Luckily I looked into natural predators and found lady beetles and lady beetle larvae are the major aphid munchers and my bines are also full of lady bugs.

#8 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:42 PM

I first noticed ladybugs last week(good to have around i beleive)and this week im finding an occasional caterpillar (mostly small about 1/2") and i suspect there doing the most damage to mine. I think im spotting some aphids(?) maybe also, these little bugs that jump from my leaves when i try to catch them (maybe 1/10th a pencil tip in size).Im not bothering the spiders(i have two now)and the ladybugs, there all welcome.The rest must die.

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

I noticed a few eaten leaves on my willamette bine and was wondering the same thing. I turned over the bine and noticed a lady bug but didn't think it would do that damage. I also thought its almost June 1 and Japanese bettle season is about to kick in too. Not sure but the hops are growing fine so I am not going to worry about it for now.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:29 AM

I noticed a few eaten leaves on my willamette bine and was wondering the same thing. I turned over the bine and noticed a lady bug but didn't think it would do that damage. I also thought its almost June 1 and Japanese bettle season is about to kick in too. Not sure but the hops are growing fine so I am not going to worry about it for now.

yeah - my plants are growing like crazy. A few of the bines have already exceeded what I have for them to grow on (last year they never even made it this high by the end of the season).

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:49 AM

Ladybugs eat the aphids. I bought a tub of them for my Hallertau which was covered with aphids last year.They chomped on the aphids, then flew away.The aphids returned, the ladybugs did not. :frank:I'm getting a slight brown frimge on my Cascade as well. I kept them well watered last year.I heard that they grow so fast they outstrip their root system for nutrients and then sacrifice the lower leaves.

#12 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

Aphids do not eat holes in leaves, they suck sap. If aphids are a problem, you'll see lots of them all over the undersides of the tender young leaves and the leaves will be curling up. With a bad infestation, you'll also see sticky, shiny honeydew on the leaves below the infestation. Insecticidal soap is effective on aphids and extremely safe (although I still wouldn't spray it on flowering hops -- but that's just the way I roll). So, for the holes in the leaves, that leaves you with slugs, snails, caterpillars or beetles. Here's a decent looking reference (linky-winky), even if it is a slideshow.

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:13 AM

Aphids do not eat holes in leaves, they suck sap. If aphids are a problem, you'll see lots of them all over the undersides of the tender young leaves and the leaves will be curling up. With a bad infestation, you'll also see sticky, shiny honeydew on the leaves below the infestation. Insecticidal soap is effective on aphids and extremely safe (although I still wouldn't spray it on flowering hops -- but that's just the way I roll). So, for the holes in the leaves, that leaves you with slugs, snails, caterpillars or beetles. Here's a decent looking reference (linky-winky), even if it is a slideshow.

slugs and snails seem out. I can't even imagine how they could get up to the top of my trellis in the course of a night and escape my sight. It's still too early for beetles (that will come later in the summer). Caterpillars is possible I guess but again I'm not really seeing them. How big would they be?

#14 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:42 AM

I actually had a leaf cutter show up one year. Really ravaged my Cascades.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:47 AM

I actually had a leaf cutter show up one year. Really ravaged my Cascades.

wiki says they live in the southern part of the US so I think I'm safe from those.

#16 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:52 AM

Yea, he was a freak.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:53 AM

Yea, he was a freak.

so I take it you don't live down south? where are you at?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users