#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:27 AM

It got delayed a few weeks, but I'm mashing my German Pils right now.:)

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

It got delayed a few weeks, but I'm mashing my German Pils right now.:)

I've got Denny's Rye in a primary right now and a Maple Pale Ale (from the last issue of BYO) in secondary waiting for a portion to be bottled and the rest to be kegged. I've got a Fat Tire to brew yet, but not this weekend. Headed to Sparks for the weekend. My cousin does extract... maybe I'll surprise him and bring some extract that we can brew.

#3 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

I'm finally getting around to a popcorn cream ale on Monday.I'm pouring Dry Irish Stout and IIPA and could use something light and fizzy if the rain ever decides to stop.

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

I've got Denny's Rye in a primary right now and a Maple Pale Ale (from the last issue of BYO) in secondary waiting for a portion to be bottled and the rest to be kegged. I've got a Fat Tire to brew yet, but not this weekend. Headed to Sparks for the weekend. My cousin does extract... maybe I'll surprise him and bring some extract that we can brew.

Check that... will be doing an American Wheat extract...

#5 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

I am going to go ahead and do a Watermelon Wheat 60/40 grain bill...one bittering addition...add natural watermelon extract at bottling time...Since I bottle I have issues with fruit drying out the beer in the 2ndary so I am just gonna give the extract a go and see how it turns out...no one needs to know there isn't real watermelon in it. Probably use 1007 with this at a lower temp.

#6 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

As long as the weather cooperates, I'll be brewing Monday, and perhaps again later in the week. Brewing what you ask? Good question. But probably something on the lighter side.

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

Just checked last night and my beers from last weekend Kolsch and Citra Pale are at 1.010 and done fermenting so I am planning to brew two more this weekend. My wife will be gone from sun up tomorrow till lunch on sunday so I am brewing an American Amber which I won a first place with and thinking of spiking it with Chipotle in secondary as I am going to ferment it with my Pacman Slurry. Then I am going to brew another Citra Pale ale and ferment with 1056. Interested in comparing the flavor profile btw Pacman vs 1056 on the same grain and hop bill. Got a few beers to send into the kegs ALT, Kolsch and Common. Should be a nice Memorial Day Weekend. Hope the rest of you enjoy yours too!!Cheers,Mike

#8 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

IronKite and I plan to do the steam/brown/chipotle ale on Monday.First brew of the year, I'm stoked.

#9 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

I got a big ol starter of 3787 going. Im finally doing up a batch of Liquid Stupid sometime either this weekend or early next week. I have one more step to get the starter big enough. Anyone know if the ginger on this is supposed to be candied, dried, or fresh? I bought some dried, but can get something else if needed.

#10 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:43 AM

I'm going to be brewing a batch of spiced golden saison either Sunday or Monday. I'm out of space though so the question is, do I buy another keg or another carboy? :)

#11 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

Buy the carboy then by the time it is ready to rack you will have bought the keg :)I am waiting for Fed-Ex to arrive. I've been working in the garage all day cleaning up and putting up shelves. I am doing 10 gals of the Dales PA from the thread in the recipe section. Then if I can swing it 10gal of a nice basic APA. :smilielol:

#12 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26202 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

I may try to brew my Ctrl Alt Delete on Monday while I'm cutting steel for the new brew stand. It's pretty simple - 13# Pils, 8# Vienna, 2# Caramunich, 1/2# RB 1oz Magnum for 60, 1.5 Mt Hood at 30, mashed at 149, and fermented with a healthy pitch of 007.

#13 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:21 PM

I may try to brew my Ctrl Alt Delete on Monday while I'm cutting steel for the new brew stand. It's pretty simple - 13# Pils, 8# Vienna, 2# Caramunich, 1/2# RB 1oz Magnum for 60, 1.5 Mt Hood at 30, mashed at 149, and fermented with a healthy pitch of 007.

That sounds great! I can't wait to do a run with that yeast.

#14 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25400 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

went home at lunch and mashed in a german pils, 8.5# pilsner and 2# munich malt.

#15 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:08 PM

I kegged my Wheat#1 , and my Alt this week.Have one more wheat finishing up,and bought ingredients for an imperial pilsner.Don't know if i shall make it this weekend, tomorrow is the day if i do.Party,and then work the holiday. :)

#16 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

went home at lunch and mashed in a german pils, 8.5# pilsner and 2# munich malt.

Basically did that yesteday mid-morning. Went back to finish the morning at the office and had it wrapped before 4. Maybe another this weekend but if the nice weather holds, minimal yard work and kicking back may be the plan.

#17 OhioMurb

OhioMurb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

Doing a BJ's Jeremiah Red clone. Found the recipe posted from a former Brewmaster from one of their locations in California. Mucho psyched - love this beer.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

It got delayed a few weeks, but I'm mashing my German Pils right now.:frank:

I did a variation on Jamil's Myburger. He mentions that some brewers may want to mash for 90 minutes for full conversion because the mash temp is 147. I decided to mash for 75 minutes (have been doing 45 minutes since going back to recircing) and I ended up with 93% efficiency :frank: . Instead of finishing the boil with 12 gallons of 1.049 wort, I ended with 13 gallons of 1.053.EDIT: Just went to check to see if it was down to temperature for pitching. The temp was where I wanted it, but when I opened the dump valve to drop the trub, nothing came out. The wort in the cone was frozen. :frank: I forgot to put my diffuser back in place before closing up the chamber, so the freezing air from the AC was blowing right on the bottom of the cone.

Edited by JKoravos, 28 May 2010 - 07:26 PM.

#19 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26202 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:48 PM

I did a variation on Jamil's Myburger. He mentions that some brewers may want to mash for 90 minutes for full conversion because the mash temp is 147. I decided to mash for 75 minutes (have been doing 45 minutes since going back to recircing) and I ended up with 93% efficiency :frank: . Instead of finishing the boil with 12 gallons of 1.049 wort, I ended with 13 gallons of 1.053.EDIT: Just went to check to see if it was down to temperature for pitching. The temp was where I wanted it, but when I opened the dump valve to drop the trub, nothing came out. The wort in the cone was frozen. :frank: I forgot to put my diffuser back in place before closing up the chamber, so the freezing air from the AC was blowing right on the bottom of the cone.

At least you'll get some nice cold break ... When it thaws

#20 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:16 AM

I got a big ol starter of 3787 going. Im finally doing up a batch of Liquid Stupid sometime either this weekend or early next week. I have one more step to get the starter big enough. Anyone know if the ginger on this is supposed to be candied, dried, or fresh? I bought some dried, but can get something else if needed.

I like the candied, but AlphaMale is stopping by the brewery later, I'll ask him.Two new beers at two different breweries for me.I brewed a hoppy wheat beer at Schlafly 1.061 and 50 IBUs. Columbus for bittering and Simcoe, Palisade and GR Tettnang for flavor/aroma and I will dry hop with the same. The initial yeast pitch was Kolsch yeast and I'm going to inject some of our English ale yeast later today or early tomorrow.At Mattingly I've just mashed in a Northern German/Czech Pilsner. Pilsner, Vienna and Melanoidin malts, Magnum, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Celeia hops (HMF and Celeia for the flavor, aroma and dry hop).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users