#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

What really defines the difference? I'm having a little taster of a Steam Schwarz for a nightcap. Actually, it is mostly the same as a porter. I have a porter I like to brew with 2112 when I make a run on that yeast. This time I didn't bother looking at my old recipes for the porter. After the fact, the recipe for the Schwarz is not all that different from the out of style porter. Malt, hops, yeast?

#2 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26193 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

I always thought that a true schwartz had less of a roast profile due to using debittered/dehusked roast malts ... Basically a pils with a healthy dose of carafa special type malts. I've always gotten more body and a more aggressive roast/chocolate malt profile from a good porter. I could be wrong about that ... I don't typically brew stricly to style.

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48013 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:45 PM

EWW is right. Schwarz should have almost no roast character at all, just color. Definitely no roast aroma, but a tiny bit of roasty taste is okay. Porter should be all about roast or even beyond via the use of patent. A schwartz should have a white head, while porter is most likely tannish - again from patent. Lots more English yeast character is allowed in porter as well, while schwarz should be clean.

#4 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

EWW is right. Schwarz should have almost no roast character at all, just color. Definitely no roast aroma, but a tiny bit of roasty taste is okay. Porter should be all about roast or even beyond via the use of patent. A schwartz should have a white head, while porter is most likely tannish - again from patent. Lots more English yeast character is allowed in porter as well, while schwarz should be clean.

I consider porters more about chocolate with some roast, stout is about the roast. As for clean, baltic porters would argue. But yes a Schwarz is different than a porter, both very good beer styles when done right though. But as homebrewers we aren't restricted now are we? :frantic:

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48013 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:05 PM

I consider porters more about chocolate with some roast, stout is about the roast. As for clean, baltic porters would argue. But yes a Schwarz is different than a porter, both very good beer styles when done right though. But as homebrewers we aren't restricted now are we? :cheers:

Agree there is a lot of overlap between porter and stout, but in my own mind I think porter = patent while stout = roasted unmalted barley. Tan head porter, white head stout. Baltic porters don't count. :frantic:

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:01 AM

To me there is a moderate to big difference in mouthfeel too. While they definitely dont need to be chewy, I think there should be some decent amount of mouthfeel to a porter while a schwarz should be a lighter or thinner mouthfeel. I know that it can get a little blurry in the middle, but on average, there should be a diff.

#7 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14759 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:06 AM

And caramel. Porters can have a lot of caramel and/or toasty flavors. Not so much with a Schwarz. Again, a traditional version is basically designed to be a black pils.

#8 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16534 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

Scwhartz can be cleaner and possibly drier due to lager yeast vs a porter being more patent and estery due to ale yeasts....

#9 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:00 AM

Scwhartz can be cleaner and possibly drier due to lager yeast vs a porter being more patent and estery due to ale yeasts....

Beat me to it.

#10 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

Gordon Biersch makes an excellent Schwarz IMO and they've had it on tap recently at the location around here so I fill my growler up from time-to-time with it. I am not sure if that beer ever makes it onto store shelves though. At any rate, if I were to be blind-folded and someone put that Schwarz into my hand I'd have a very tough time imagining it was a dark beer. It tastes like a super clean cross between a helles bock and alt or something along those lines. There is no flavor that really stands out in the best examples of Schwarz that I can remember. It seems like they are very well-balanced.

#11 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43099 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

I like Carafa II for Schwartz... Good carmel flavors, color, without the overbearing flavors of roasted barley.. Not that its a bad thing, but just not in German Black Lager. RB is hoever appropiate in Porters.

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

Agreed on the lager yeast. Funny how everybody's take on porter is different. I don't make that many but I usually go with more chocolate in a porter whereas stouts get BP and/or RB. Maybe I'm really making a stout and calling it a porter. :frantic:

#13 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

Agreed on the lager yeast. Funny how everybody's take on porter is different. I don't make that many but I usually go with more chocolate in a porter whereas stouts get BP and/or RB. Maybe I'm really making a stout and calling it a porter. :frantic:

That's cuz you're brewing the old porter. The new porter has tons of black malts, 100+ IBU and pours like turkish coffee

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

That's cuz you're brewing the old porter. The new porter has tons of black malts, 100+ IBU and pours like turkish coffee

I've made that one too. Dry hopped with 4 oz. of Cascade.

#15 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

Interesting replies, thanks. I've always thought/felt Stouts had more of a statement from BP/RB than porters. If I use those at all in a porter it's barely in the grainbill.The psuedo Schwarz11.5gal15# Gr. Pils4# Gr. Munich2# Carafa3.25# RBLots of Hersbrucker and PerleI think the Munich probably took it a little far with maltiness and of course the 2112 threw some esters that a true lager yeast wouldn't. Probably should have left out the RB too. Nice beer though. I'll call it a porter for the rest of the keg. Guess I ought to be using more lager yeast - once every 25 years doesn't really cut it.The last Porter I made with 211211.5 gal20# Pale Ale malt1/2# Carastan1/2# C401/2# C1201/4# Special B1# Carafa2 oz BPMagnum and Mt. HoodWeird beer early - for me it needs a month of cold conditioning then I like it.The Baltic I made with 2112 is a different story. Damn - about gone too.

#16 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:16 AM

... Maybe I'm really making a stout and calling it a porter. :devil:

interesting revelation. :crybaby:

Edited by Stout_fan, 26 May 2010 - 05:16 AM.

#17 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

interesting revelation. Posted Image

And I have a long memoryPosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users