#21 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:36 AM

CO2 isn't likely to break down snailpowered - it will exist in the head space and in solution. In solution it will mix with water and form bicarbonate and to a much lesser degree carbonic acid. Mostly it will just remain dissolved gas. CO2 isn't highly reactive so it tends to hang around a long time.

#22 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:38 AM

Is it ok to store a keg of homebrew at room temperature off gas, but under pressure? I want to brew more, but I dont have the money to build a storage chamber or buy a big chest freezer to convert. What do you all suggest? (I am in florida so no basement, and its hot outside)

Since you're brewing a lot more I'd propose investing in some additional carboys for longer-term aging of your beers under an airlock. The corny idea is a good one too, and I don't see any problem with storing beers that way, but cornies are only airtight when pressurized and as was already mentioned you will lose pressure over time if you just are blasting some gas into the head space.

#23 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMosul, Iraq for now stationed at Ft Stewart, Ga trying to go to Ft Lewis, Wa

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:51 AM

Well, once again, I am learning so thank you for the chemistry lesson broken down Barney style!

#24 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

Since you're brewing a lot more I'd propose investing in some additional carboys for longer-term aging of your beers under an airlock. The corny idea is a good one too, and I don't see any problem with storing beers that way, but cornies are only airtight when pressurized and as was already mentioned you will lose pressure over time if you just are blasting some gas into the head space.

I did start a better bottle thread. :frantic: I need more kegs and carboys anyway. I dont really do a secondary on my beers so I would have to start to make it wroth having a bunch of carboys around. Cheers,Rich

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64144 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

Long story short...the 'aging' of beer is essentially a bunch of chemical reactions going on. Chemical reactions happen faster at warmer temperatures (read up on Arrhenius if you're interested). If you store your beer at warmer temps, it'll age faster. That being said, IMO, most beers won't significantly degrade from being stored at room temp for 6-12 months. If you do store it at room temp, I'd highly recommend that you purge the keg REALLY well and completely carbonate it before storage. Do everything you can to insure that there is no oxygen in there. I've had beers stored for 2+ years, mostly at room temp, win medals in competition (not big beers, either, session stuff). Ideally, you want to store it cold, but it's not the end of the world if you can't swing it.

#26 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

If I were you, I would give priority to cold storing any beer that want to retain it's hop flavor and aroma, such as IPAs. Hop character seems to be the first casualty of aging.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users