#1 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:54 PM

I'm doing a Quiet Storm Oatmeal Stout as I type and I noticed that the creator says the boil time is 90 minutes, but I only start adding hops at 60 minutes, 30 minutes, and 2 minutes. What's the benefit of boiling for 30 minutes without any hops?

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

If you have the volume to boil for 90 you might as well. I usually boil until hot break starts to form and then start hop additions. With that particular beer I don't think it matters how long you boil - so 60 will be fine. Since you're brewing now I won't go into details. Have fun.You're probably about as old as drewseslu (son) - guessing, but I'll bet we live about 10 minutes away..........

#3 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

You're probably about as old as drewseslu (son) - guessing, but I'll bet we live about 10 minutes away..........

If I was older, would I live closer or further? J/K, hey if you're bored, you're welcome to come by.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

If I was older, would I live closer or further? J/K, hey if you're bored, you're welcome to come by.

Well into prepping dinner, looks like I'm cooking too. We'll do it another day. I'm probably brewing later this week........ PM if you want to drop by.Further, you'll drive faster Posted Image Drain slow at first with the oats - have fun!

Edited by dj in kc, 23 May 2010 - 04:42 PM.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

I'm doing a Quiet Storm Oatmeal Stout as I type and I noticed that the creator says the boil time is 90 minutes, but I only start adding hops at 60 minutes, 30 minutes, and 2 minutes. What's the benefit of boiling for 30 minutes without any hops?

My default boil time is 60 minutes but if I'm using a lot of pilsner malt I'll boil for 90. And if I'm doing a big beer, I'll boil longer for better efficiency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users