#1 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

I imagine this could go in the reviews section but I'm drinking this right now and I'm thinking more about how they got the various herbs to come through as well as they did. Brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. The aroma is definitely a saison but then there's a little more. You take a sip and woah, there's the something more. I get the rosemary and thyme on the palate and the sage and parsley more on the nose. It's a unique beer. Anybody else ever tried brewing with the wife's spice rack? I know peppercorns are fairly common but I've never seen much for these herbs in beer.I can also say that it does not taste good coming out your nose as I just watched the 20-something-year-old neighbor fall out of the tree in their yard. Fortunately it was the first branch but he fell with a thud. At least the beer helped stifle the laugh.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

I imagine this could go in the reviews section but I'm drinking this right now and I'm thinking more about how they got the various herbs to come through as well as they did. Brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. The aroma is definitely a saison but then there's a little more. You take a sip and woah, there's the something more. I get the rosemary and thyme on the palate and the sage and parsley more on the nose. It's a unique beer. Anybody else ever tried brewing with the wife's spice rack? I know peppercorns are fairly common but I've never seen much for these herbs in beer.I can also say that it does not taste good coming out your nose as I just watched the 20-something-year-old neighbor fall out of the tree in their yard. Fortunately it was the first branch but he fell with a thud. At least the beer helped stifle the laugh.

Never heard of it. How do you actually like the beer?ETA: how did you like the rare vos?

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:24 PM

Never heard of it. How do you actually like the beer?ETA: how did you like the rare vos?

The saison is good. I can't say I'd go buy a 6 pack though. A great beer to try first for an evening but again I couldn't imagine sitting down and drinking 2 more or less 3. I'm letting it warm up a little right now to see if it changes and I can still taste herbs.Honestly I was a little underwhelmed by the Rare Vos. I'm a big fan of Ommegang beers but I think I was expecting more belgian-like characteristics. I know those aren't your favorite so I can see how you'd dig that beer but for me if I'm going to brew a belgian I want it to taste like a belgian. I found it dry and refreshing but pretty delicate on the flavors. I had a tough time telling if it was anything other than the yeast that gave it character.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

Honestly I was a little underwhelmed by the Rare Vos. I'm a big fan of Ommegang beers but I think I was expecting more belgian-like characteristics. I know those aren't your favorite so I can see how you'd dig that beer but for me if I'm going to brew a belgian I want it to taste like a belgian. I found it dry and refreshing but pretty delicate on the flavors. I had a tough time telling if it was anything other than the yeast that gave it character.

I agree it's fairly delicate as Belgians go. It's sort of a session belgian to me (despite the strength). Most belgians I find myself growing tired of as I approach the end of a bottle but the Rare Vos I could just keep drinking.

#5 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

I thought this was about a saison for weight lifters. I for one am disappointed.I will have to go look for it so I can make meaningful comments.

#6 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:48 PM

I thought this was about a saison for weight lifters. I for one am disappointed.

I'm just glad you didn't click the link thinking it was about drinking Saison in the nude.

#7 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

You dont? :blush:

#8 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member