19 replies to this topic

#1 Thag

Thag

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47523 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

My wife found two Blue Moon Summer Ale from last year stashed on the sailboat as she was doing a complete clean out today.What is the best use for two wayward Ales that have been living in a hot sailboat for a year?

#2 Thag

Thag

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47523 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

You sir are no help! Miller High Life is my favorite BMC so I guess that eplains why I like Blue Moon.

#3 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

Ice em down, throw an orange slice in it, you'll never be able to tell the difference.

#4 Thag

Thag

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47523 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

I want to trust you but I think you may just want to see me hurl... or at least hear about it later.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

brats

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

What is the best use for two wayward Ales that have been living in a hot sailboat for a year?

I don't suppose the boat needs an anchor? Prolly not heavy enough anyway. Note that the fact that they're a year old did not influence my answer.

#7 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

I would use them in my smoker(water pot) when i smoke something next.

#8 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

you could dump em in a curry or make a batch of beer bread?I'm going to jump on board with the above posts.... year old or not, hot storage or not, it's still going to be as uninteresting a commercial beer as it always was. Just cool em down and drink em if you dig the taste....at least you said "Miller High Life is my favorite BMC" and not "Miller High Life is my favorite beer"!

#9 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

Having been unfortunate enough to try trunk beer (once!), I offer you my advice to throw that stuff away. If it tastes anything like the Budweiser that I salvaged from the trunk of my car back in college, after being lost in there for a long, hot summer, then I would say don't even cook brats in it. Horrible beyond belief.

#10 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

I second the brats suggestion.

#11 Thag

Thag

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47523 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:04 PM

I may sit it back in the sailboat. We grill on the boat in the summer and I will try it as a marinade.

#12 stlinch

stlinch

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:20 AM

Give them to that "friend" that never brings beer and wants to drink yours.

#13 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMosul, Iraq for now stationed at Ft Stewart, Ga trying to go to Ft Lewis, Wa

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

Ok, the best recommendation I have read so far is DEFINITELY to give them to the "friend" that never brings beer! Crappy or not that would be priceless. As far as I have experienced if beer has been warm, and then chilled and then warm again it tastes like crap. My brother tells me that it's impossible but that is my experience with it.

#14 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:41 AM

I have to break with tradition here. I have had blue moon and dont think it is awful. To me it is a cheap knockoff of a good belgian wit. The year in the heat.....I would dump it. At most, use it in the smoker. As for brats, dont cook with something you wouldnt drink. Wine, beer or whatever.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:04 AM

Ok, the best recommendation I have read so far is DEFINITELY to give them to the "friend" that never brings beer! Crappy or not that would be priceless. As far as I have experienced if beer has been warm, and then chilled and then warm again it tastes like crap. My brother tells me that it's impossible but that is my experience with it.

I've actually done this with a beer that I wanted to age more and it helped it out. I think if you are gentle with the temperature changes it can be done without any major issues.

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:17 AM

Put it in the septic to help your break down.Cheers,Rich

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

Take one for the team.Mark the two "abused" bottles. Cool them, then do a side by side test with one against a fresh bottle and post the results.Save the second abused bottle for your beeerless friend.

#18 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

Take one for the team.Mark the two "abused" bottles. Cool them, then do a side by side test with one against a fresh bottle and post the results.Save the second abused bottle for your beeerless friend.

This. With reports back.

#19 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

...With reports back.

Naturally!

#20 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMosul, Iraq for now stationed at Ft Stewart, Ga trying to go to Ft Lewis, Wa

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

Ok, so that is the best plan so far, although the one DEFINITELY has to go to the beerless friend if it tastes like crap! :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users