3 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54221 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:04 AM

There was some talk here about this and I am now have some beers on tap that have gone through this process. Some of those beers are actually gone already. While I can't bring myself to say, "I completely understand" or "Oh, I get it now" or anything similar (I don't want to tempt fate), I can say that with these small modifications... my water, my recipes, my process and my tastebuds are in better harmony now than ever before. I have a cream ale and also MLPA on tap right now that are fantastic. The Cream Ale is not one of my normal recipes, but this last batch of MLPA has a bit more crispness to it which is exactly what I was trying to accomplish. With every batch I make, I use the EZ_Water sheet to get my calcium number up (either with CaCl or Gypsum) and then I try to "balance" the chloride-to-sulfate ratio. The sheet suggests mash additions and boil additions and I have been doing this now for maybe 10-12 batches. The results are outstanding and there doesn't appear to be any downside (weird flavors, saltiness, etc.) from doing this. I realize everyone's water & tastbuds are different but this process is working well for me. I did put a page on my site with a small amount of regurgitated info and some links to the spreadsheets(s) and Palmer's table 16. Cheers.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:13 AM

There was some talk here about this and I am now have some beers on tap that have gone through this process. Some of those beers are actually gone already. While I can't bring myself to say, "I completely understand" or "Oh, I get it now" or anything similar (I don't want to tempt fate), I can say that with these small modifications... my water, my recipes, my process and my tastebuds are in better harmony now than ever before. I have a cream ale and also MLPA on tap right now that are fantastic. The Cream Ale is not one of my normal recipes, but this last batch of MLPA has a bit more crispness to it which is exactly what I was trying to accomplish. With every batch I make, I use the EZ_Water sheet to get my calcium number up (either with CaCl or Gypsum) and then I try to "balance" the chloride-to-sulfate ratio. The sheet suggests mash additions and boil additions and I have been doing this now for maybe 10-12 batches. The results are outstanding and there doesn't appear to be any downside (weird flavors, saltiness, etc.) from doing this. I realize everyone's water & tastbuds are different but this process is working well for me. I did put a page on my site with a small amount of regurgitated info and some links to the spreadsheets(s) and Palmer's table 16. Cheers.

It's been working for me as well. What I can't say is how much it has helped vs not doing it though. I started using the spreadsheet on my 3rd AG batch. I've gotten so much better at the AG process since this first 3 or 4 batches that I really can't say how much the adjustments are helping. I recently ordered some Mt. Hoods though and I plan on trying to "crisp up" the MLPA as well. I recently did this with an O'fest and from the early sample I had I like the results. It seems a little more lager like to me. I guess I associate crispness with lagers even though this isn't really correct.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54221 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:23 AM

I hear you, Zym. I guess what it tells me is that there is a lot of fine-tuning that can be added to the brewing process. I have tasted a few homebrewers concoctions that ended up salty because they overdid it. They knew it already but we tried it to see the effects... sightly salty beer and actually noticeably salty beer. I wanted to make sure I didn't overdo it so these additions are pretty small. ½ a gram here, 1.8 grams there... that sort of thing. It made a noticeable difference on this last batch of MLPA. It wasn't "hoppier", but it was more balanced and "crisper".Ps. I'm making Aviator's English Ale right now and balanced out the water with some gypsum, CaCl and a small amount of epsom salt. I got the ratio to "bitter". Should be good. Cheers.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:47 AM

I hear you, Zym. I guess what it tells me is that there is a lot of fine-tuning that can be added to the brewing process. I have tasted a few homebrewers concoctions that ended up salty because they overdid it. They knew it already but we tried it to see the effects... sightly salty beer and actually noticeably salty beer. I wanted to make sure I didn't overdo it so these additions are pretty small. ½ a gram here, 1.8 grams there... that sort of thing. It made a noticeable difference on this last batch of MLPA. It wasn't "hoppier", but it was more balanced and "crisper".Ps. I'm making Aviator's English Ale right now and balanced out the water with some gypsum, CaCl and a small amount of epsom salt. I got the ratio to "bitter". Should be good. Cheers.

I've added up to 3g of gypsum I think. Never noticed any saltiness but then again my water is pretty low in a lot of ions to begin with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users