#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:41 AM

So I currently have a Belgian Strong fermenting away in my fermenter with the Wyeast Trappist Ale yeast (3787 I think it is). I have also been wanting to make a Belgian Golden Ale. Would there be any problem with going from a stronger Ale to a lighter one on the same yeast cake? I've only made the same beer on the same yeast cake before. I just don't know if I would get other flavors from the Strong in the Golden. :covreyes:

#2 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19229 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

So I currently have a Belgian Strong fermenting away in my fermenter with the Wyeast Trappist Ale yeast (3787 I think it is). I have also been wanting to make a Belgian Golden Ale. Would there be any problem with going from a stronger Ale to a lighter one on the same yeast cake? I've only made the same beer on the same yeast cake before. I just don't know if I would get other flavors from the Strong in the Golden. :covreyes:

The high alcohol in the Belgian Strong can stress the yeast. Normally it's not a good idea to re-use yeast from a high-gravity batch of beer, because the yeast can be so stressed.At the very least, you will get more "yeasty" flavors in the Belgian Golden, but that might fit with the style. The worst that could happen is that you will get a stuck fermentation from stressed yeast.

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

How strong? I've reused 3787 for a dark strong after doing a couple of tripels in a row so it can handle reuse after a high gravity beer. But I don't think I'd reuse it after anything over 1.100. 1.090 would make me hesitate but I might go ahead and do it.

#4 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

Well, the Strong came out on the low end at 1.062 :devil: :stabby:It has been a very vigorous fermentation though. It is my first Belgian Strong, and first time using the Belgian candy sugar. I can't wait to try it.Maybe I'll switch it up and try my hand at a Tripel instead. :covreyes: :P

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:00 AM

1.062 shouldn't be a problem. Go ahead and do your golden and then do a tripel. :covreyes: Which candi sugar did you use? I've used the dark a few times in my strong darks and I love it. A friend of mine has tried the D2 and also likes it a lot. I just noticed that they've started packaging it in bags now instead of the little plastic bottles.Posted Image

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

1.062 shouldn't be a problem. Go ahead and do your golden and then do a tripel. :stabby: Which candi sugar did you use? I've used the dark a few times in my strong darks and I love it. A friend of mine has tried the D2 and also likes it a lot. I just noticed that they've started packaging it in bags now instead of the little plastic bottles.Posted Image

It wasn't dark, it was like little clear crystals. It was 1lb, and packaged by my lhbs. It was in an extract kit that they put together for a Belgian Strong. I haven't had time lately to do All Grain batches. But I have been enjoying the simple shorter brew days. :covreyes:

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:56 AM

It wasn't dark, it was like little clear crystals. It was 1lb, and packaged by my lhbs. It was in an extract kit that they put together for a Belgian Strong. I haven't had time lately to do All Grain batches. But I have been enjoying the simple shorter brew days. :covreyes:

Ah. You don't want to use the crystals. Use the liquid syrup instead. If you're going to use the rocks, you may as well just use table sugar.

#8 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19229 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

Well, the Strong came out on the low end at 1.062 :stabby: :covreyes:It has been a very vigorous fermentation though. It is my first Belgian Strong, and first time using the Belgian candy sugar. I can't wait to try it.

I agree with mtnbrewer, re-using Trappist Ale yeast after a 1.062 beer shouldn't be a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users