24 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:38 AM

I just made a pretty bitchin' order of hops from hops direct.

Item 01: 1 each HCOLP1 Columbus Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 12.75 Item 02: 1 each HHALGP1 Hallertau Pellets (GR) 1 lb. $ 10.75 Item 03: 1 each HMTHP1 Mt. Hood Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 10.75 Item 04: 1 each HCSAAZP1 Czech Saaz Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 13.75 Item 05: 1 each HSTYP1 Styrian's (UK) Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 14.25 Item 06: 1 each HCEP1 Centennial Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 10.75 Item 07: 1 each HWILP1 Willamette Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 6.75SubTotal: $ 79.75Shipping: $TBDTotal: $ 79.75

Other than willamette and hallertau this is all new hop territory for me (when it comes to actually using them). I'm pretty excited. Pretty much all of the hops have an intended purpose:Columbus: Denny's Rye IPA, general IPA/APA useHallertau: O'fest, dunkel, maibock (hopefully), altMt. Hood: Denny's Rye IPA, maybe some original MLPA (never tried it with the Mt. Hoods per the recipe)Czech Saaz: Rare Vos clone, something else belgian, maybe a bohemian lager if I have the space for the yeastStyrian Goldings: Rare Vos clone, maybe something else belgian?, any other suggestions here?Cententials: IPA/APA useWillamette: so cheap I couldn't pass it up, I often toss this into my pales, ambers, and IPAs along with cascadeJust thought I would share my excitement. :covreyes:

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:59 AM

Hop on man. Hop on. :covreyes:

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:32 AM

Nice work. I wish I could say I have already pulled the trigger on getting more hops like I have wanted too. I will soon but I am disappointed as I now see that HD does not have any Amarillo Pellets and the Citra Leaf hops are also gone too. That was two varieties I really wanted to get too. Looks like I will need to find another supplier. Enjoy the hops I have a good number of those varieties as well. Cheers!!

#4 JeffMeyers

JeffMeyers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:45 AM

I'm still working thru all the hops a hoarded during the Great American Hop Shortage. They seem to have held up well with vacume packing and the freezer.

#5 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:47 AM

That's a lot of hops! :covreyes:

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:46 AM

...Willamette: so cheap I couldn't pass it up, ...

Yea, when I saw Willamette at $6 a pound I had to hop on that deal myself!

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:22 AM

Yea, when I saw Willamette at $6 a pound I had to hop on that deal myself!

:covreyes:

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:23 PM

I'd just like to throw a shout out to hops direct for being a great company to work with. Since I can't tell what the shipping costs are up front when placing an order I chose USPS instead of UPS. Well it turned out that UPS was more than 50% less than USPS and instead of just sticking it to me hops direct e-mailed and called me to see if I wanted to use UPS instead (which I did). Big ups to them. :stabby: :covreyes:

#9 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hell yeah, I love Hops direct. Great prices, very friendly folks and a great product! Brew on Zym!

#10 North

North

Drunk and Ghey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

i think you should make one 10 gallon batch and hop the hell out of it (with some dry hopping too)

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

I just bought 3 more pounds of hops i didn't have including williamette. I'm gonna do some experimenting in a couple batches here.Cheers,Rich

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

i think you should make one 10 gallon batch and hop the hell out of it (with some dry hopping too)

How about 2 5 gallon batches? My kettle isn't large enough for 10 gals :covreyes:

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

How about 2 5 gallon batches? My kettle isn't large enough for 10 gals :covreyes:

pfft 1 5 gallon batch!oh and you need to send me some hops :stabby:

#14 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

Willimette will be cheap for a while. Word is AB/InBev dumped them from Bud. They were the biggest buyers of that hop and now farmers have a ton of the stuff.MolBasser

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

Willimette will be cheap for a while. Word is AB/InBev dumped them from Bud. They were the biggest buyers of that hop and now farmers have a ton of the stuff.MolBasser

heard that myself, last month

#16 Calder

Calder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:12 PM

You must have a lot of brewing lined up.Great place. I bought 7 lbs from them last month (must have gotten the last of the Amarillo, but they had run out of the Citra at that time). 6 packs of pellets, all weighed between 18.5 and 19 ozs, and 1 pack of leaf, weighed 24.5 ozs. I figure I got an extra pound overall. Also got 5% off from their March newsletter.Same happened last year when I ordered 8 lbs from them. All pellets, and the packages all weighed between 18.5 and 19 ozs.

#17 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23570 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:19 PM

Wonder what hop they are replacing it with??

#18 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

Ha they probably just removed the hop from use. I wouldn't give them enough credit to sub hops. Matter of fact there are hops in Bud Light? :covreyes:

#19 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26194 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:12 PM

I have all those hops in my freezer right now (also from HD) you will be happy with them.FWIW Columbus and Amarillo is my favorite hop combo

#20 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:16 PM

I think they went to extract.MolBasser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users