#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47784 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Here's the article that used to be on my web site about the brass QD's and tubing I use. Last update is 4 years old, so the prices are probably too low. Part numbers should still be good, though.

Several people asked about my QD's when I posted the brew cart pics. I finally got around to looking up what I bought. I bought brass. I just couldn't spend what poly ones would have cost. I got them from McMaster-Carr. They're called 'Brass Coolant Hose Couplings' and are found on page 241. I got 10 male connectors ( p/n 6739K59) and 6 female hose connectors ( p/n 6739K64) for less than $40.The tubing is 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD silicone (pg 98, p/n 3038K26). It's really pricey; 10ft was almost $30, but there's no real substitute. It's translucent so I can see flow.Male fittings are installed on all "things," with female fittings on both ends of hoses. Initially, I did it that way because male fittings are about a third the price of female. A nice accidental benefit is that I can make/break fittings with just one hand if the female is on the hose. The sleeve on the fitting slides toward the back to release and I can both hold the hose and slide it with the same hand. If I'd had female on the "things" with male hoses, I'd need two hands to make connections.Also, I've found that even though the fittings are full-flow, they won't leak much if you close the valves at both ends and only disconnect one side at a time. The closed valve acts like a finger on a straw and holds the liquid in. Update: 1/11/06The female QD's ship with grease inside that looks (and sticks) like silicone keg lube. It's brassy colored, but that's probably from machining dust. I soaked mine in peroxide and vinegar solution and used pipe cleaners to get all the grease out. Took a little time, but you only need to do it once. The QD's still work fine without the grease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users