8 replies to this topic

#1 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

If you've constructed, or had constructed, a brewing structure made of non-stainless steel (and these days, stainless is a luxury most brewers have done without when building brewstands), then you might have run into problems with rust - whether you've painted the structure or not, mild/high carbon steel attracts rust the way hookers attract sailors. It's just a fact of life. Anyway, after endless hours of laborious wire brushing that accomplished nothing but to remind me that I'm not built for hard work, I finally opted for the nuclear option - a product called Ospho.Simply put, Ospho is the cat's ass. It turns surface rust into iron phosphate, stabilizing it and creating a primer-like barrier to future rust intrusions. I got a gallon at an Ace Hardware store, so it should be generally available most anywhere. Sorry to say I don't have a "before" photo, but please rest assured every steel surface was coated with rust.After the Ospho, all of the steel surfaces look like this:Posted ImageIt's simply an amazing product - now I'll be able to paint the damn thing!!Oh, and here is their web page - it ain't nothing fancy, but it does tell you a bit about the product: https://ospho.com/

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:56 AM

would it also be good for the railings on my front steps?

#3 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:21 PM

would it also be good for the railings on my front steps?

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

#4 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5413 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:22 PM

I've used the same thing many times for metal parts exposed to the elements, a couple snowmobile trailers etc. and it works great.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

Yep, Rustoleum makes a similar product. My crappy Sam's Club-purchased outdoor furniture started to shiver its timbers less than a year after getting it. I did use a brush and some sandpaper to get some of the bubbles off and then I applied this stuff. On some areas, it turned green and on other areas it turned grayish-black. Then I primed it with a Rustoleum product that "STOPS RUST!" and then I painted it with a Rustoleum hammered bronze paint. It was out all last year and in the shed all winter and I just took it out... there are a couple of scratches (my fault) but there is almost no rust and the small amount that's there is probably where I missed. Great stuff.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

quick question - does this stuff also work as primer?

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

quick question - does this stuff also work as primer?

Zym: I think the products differ and you may want to check to see if any of the locally available products in your area say that they are also a primer. I think that the standard thinking is that it IS a primer once it's dry. But I didn't want to take chances and I primed over it first and then painted it. I just used this stuff again about a month ago. We have a basketball net that is mounted next to our pool and it started rusting. Everytime a ball would hit the rim or backboard, you would see rust dust fall into the pool. So I cleaned it up and then used this Rustoleum product on it, primed it and painted it. It looks brand new and there is no rust evident on the net or in the pool, thankfully. One of the issues is that when you have rust, you don't just have surface rust... you get bubbling, chipping and sometimes full layers of metal flaking off. So there is some prep work necessary (either a wire brush or some sandpaper) to get the surfaces ready. Really nice product though... works well and a little goes a long way. Cheers.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

Zym: I think the products differ and you may want to check to see if any of the locally available products in your area say that they are also a primer. I think that the standard thinking is that it IS a primer once it's dry. But I didn't want to take chances and I primed over it first and then painted it. I just used this stuff again about a month ago. We have a basketball net that is mounted next to our pool and it started rusting. Everytime a ball would hit the rim or backboard, you would see rust dust fall into the pool. So I cleaned it up and then used this Rustoleum product on it, primed it and painted it. It looks brand new and there is no rust evident on the net or in the pool, thankfully. One of the issues is that when you have rust, you don't just have surface rust... you get bubbling, chipping and sometimes full layers of metal flaking off. So there is some prep work necessary (either a wire brush or some sandpaper) to get the surfaces ready. Really nice product though... works well and a little goes a long way. Cheers.

I bought the rustoleum rust product and some paint but I still need to buy some primer. Thanks for the advice.

#9 BlackBeerd

BlackBeerd

Comptroller of Stain's Junk Posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18291 posts
  • LocationA Drunken Stupor

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Oops

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users