#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

I can see why some of you automate some of your brewing with pumps and such. I am planning out my brew day on Saturday and I keep adding steps in an effort to make better beer, make it cheaper, and such. I bet it will take me 3 hours just to prep my equipment and haul it all to the back yard. I should make a brew rack or something. Plus I will have to make my water this time because I got sick of buying a ton of water from the store and I don't really know how long that will take. Then finally I can start the strike water (probably 4 hours already into my brew day) for the mash. I'm guessing the whole thing is gonna take around 12-14 hours considering cleaning and putting stuff away. I can't brew in the driveway because it slopes to severely, and I like the privacy of brewing in the back yard. It'll probably be 90+ deg on Saturday too so this should be fun!My goal is no leaks and correct measurements this time, if I get that right it should all turn out fine.Cheers,Rich

#2 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8279 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

I feel ya. A lot of times I'll set up the nite before the brew, get water started, mill grains etc. It makes for an easier brewday and I tend to get ALL of my clean up done after I'm done. Hey this is suppose to be fun after all. Either way :smilielol: and happy brewing!!

#3 nigel

nigel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

Sioux's right. All in the name of a good time. Sounds like you're like me: organizing everything way ahead of time, setting gear and ingredients aside, probably visualizing the process, too. Here's to ya!Which beer you brewing? The Rye IPA or something else?Again, have FUN either way. Remember to temper your brew-day bevvies with some good, cool agua. And never brew on an empty stomach. Time for comfort food!!Best of luck.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

Sioux's right. All in the name of a good time. Sounds like you're like me: organizing everything way ahead of time, setting gear and ingredients aside, probably visualizing the process, too. Here's to ya!Which beer you brewing? The Rye IPA or something else?Again, have FUN either way. Remember to temper your brew-day bevvies with some good, cool agua. And never brew on an empty stomach. Time for comfort food!!Best of luck.

yeah - I like to have plenty of water too. I also enjoy a small snack or two to keep the energy up.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

Might have hot a snafu... the inaugural home game for the FC Tampa Bay Rowdies is Saturday night, tailgating starting at 4:30... I'll be sooooo tired if I try both.Cheers,Rich

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:43 AM

I agree, building a stand of some kind will help a lot. Then at least most of your stuff is "set up" and in one place. I also get as much done the night before as possible. Mill the grains, fill the HLT (I filter so that takes a while), and get everything set up. That way I can get up in the am and fire up the HLT while still waking up and getting traction on the day.Which leads me to the last suggestion. I am kind of a morning person anyway, but I would suggest brewing early. I have been known to have strike water going by 5:15 am. Not only does it help to not take up the whole day, but it is also the coolest part of the day. So, I would brew early, take a nap, then get your tailgate on.

#7 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1500 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

Another +1 on building a rig. Mine is currently a 1 tier system with a pump but I think I'm going to add a 2nd tier for the HLT and gravity drain the HLT. With a rig my setup and procedure is exactly the same every time. Hoses are cut to the right length, fittings set and fixed where possible, everything has it's place on the rig and in the same box when put away.Time saved not looking for the right hose, fitting, o-ring,... is priceless. By far my favorite though is my chilling setup. Its based on the Jamil wort-o-matic and ROCKS. I start recirculating wort 5 min before flameout. Then I flame out, start the chilling water flowing, and walk away to start my cleanup. Being able to do something else while my wort chilled itself was a HUGE time saving in addition to the fact I hated sitting there and stirring. I'm planning to brew this sunday. I'm going to see if I can break my record of 4 hours from start to completely cleaned up and gear put away.

#8 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8279 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

I'm planning to brew this sunday. I'm going to see if I can break my record of 4 hours from start to completely cleaned up and gear put away.

No matter what I can't get under the 6 hour mark. Makes double batching a pretty long day, 12+ hrs. Need to talk to Blktre about doin some welding on my stand, got the metal all cut to length, just need to get around to it.

#9 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1500 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

No matter what I can't get under the 6 hour mark. Makes double batching a pretty long day, 12+ hrs. Need to talk to Blktre about doin some welding on my stand, got the metal all cut to length, just need to get around to it.

Oh yea I'm talkin a single 5 gallon batch here. The logistics alone of 10 gallons would make for a longer day. My best time was also with a simple pale ale so single infusion and no other special steps. If it were anything more complex I'd be happy with 5 hours. I'm going to have the grain already ground, water measured out, and I'll start the timer when I start heating the strike water. Having a welder and know how to use it was integral in getting me where I'm at. I welded on and cut off more than one thing from my current rig until I got it where I wanted it.

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

The grain is milled already. I'm gonna spend some time tonight and clean the kettle, the HLT, the mash tun and its parts, and move everything out to the back porch tonight. I'll soak the plate chiller in starsan tonight and tomorrow so its ready, and test the aquarium pump. Tomorrow I'll make the strike water and store it overnight in the HLT (I have a lid). I use 2 15.5 gallon kegs that I outfitted for my HLT and kettle now. Its a pain having to lift them up on my stand to heat stuff. 5 gallons isn't so bad, but 10 gallon batches are a bitch to lift onto the burner.Posted ImageYou can see the mash tun in the bottom right corner, with all my hoses.Cheers,Rich

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

So I made my starer last night with the yeast I bought online. Usually by now the bottle is trying to erupt. Nothing. It aint doing didly squat. Im gonna have to go get some more and maybe brew tomorrow.Cheers,Rich

#12 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

I usually begin the night before too. I will plan my brew during the week and print of the grain bill on say Thursday. Friday night will involve scaling and crushing, filling kettle and readying all the equipment (cleaned/sanitized), so I will wake @ about 5 or so and light the burner, go make breakfst and coffee. By this time the water is hot and I am ready to go.I have done back-to-back brews like this w/ little delay, it takes a bit more planning and another burner, but as the mash is going one can heat the strike water for the other batch. Then rack the #1 mash to the boil kettle, dump and get ready to mash #2. It was a beautiful thing when I was able to do it. We moved and during one of my moves so one stole burner #2 from my storage shed at the new place. It didn't get locked and we never found out who did it. Sucked. Oh well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users