• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 andy77

andy77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

Quickie isinglass questions:1. Am using it in a keg, chilled. I know there's a shelf life, do I need to rack off of the isinglass, or am I OK just to drink off the top of it (cut dip tube). Considering that I'm drinking this fresh and not lagering for 6 months.2. What should it look like when it's fresh vs. past its prime. How will I know when it's spoiled. 3. Anything else I should know?I used this product from Northern Brewer:Posted ImageThanks fellas!!!!!

#2 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21386 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:20 AM

I would rack off the isinglass.If I remember correctly, isinglass is made from fish, (correct me if I'm wrong) so, there is a shelf life but it's probably something like years.You didn't mention what kind of beer you are using this for.

#3 andy77

andy77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

Of course I forgot that basic detail. It's a 1.067 IPA with about 70 IBUs. It'll probably be gone by the end of May. If this was something I was going to lager or age, I wouldn't fine at all. Really, I'm trying to find a single vessel, cheap 'n easy way to clear my beer. Particularly the beers I want to rack from primary in to a keg, chill, carbonate and drink. I had also thought of pouring the isinglass directly into the primary, giving it a gentle swirl and letting it clear a few days in the primary before kegging. That might work. The yeast that are already compacted into the yeast cake will stay there, and the proteins and yeast that the isinglass binds with will settle on top of the initial yeast cake. Just a thought.I'll do both and report back, but if there's someone out there who has firsthand knowledge, it'd be a good thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users