#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:48 PM

So last year I planted 4 Rhizomes, but only 1 survived (mt. Hood). One of the rhizomes was in a planter, which I happened to plant two new rhizomes this year. It's a large planter, so I planted one on each side. WELL... whatever plant was in there last year actually survived and is coming up in the middle of the planter. Just wish I knew what it was. I think I'll try to segregate it from the known hops and just call it my "house hops" and figure out how I want to use it later. So, I thought I was going to have 5 plants this year, but now it's 6!

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

Nice. That is a bonus and is very exciting. I have been keeping watch of my 5 rhizomes that I planted two weekends ago. I have a couple sprouts from a Nugget and Willamette. Waiting to see if Cascade will pop up too. Hope they grow vigorously for you!!

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

Nice. That is a bonus and is very exciting. I have been keeping watch of my 5 rhizomes that I planted two weekends ago. I have a couple sprouts from a Nugget and Willamette. Waiting to see if Cascade will pop up too. Hope they grow vigorously for you!!

My "known" second year hops are coming in very vigorously. Your first year plants won't garner much, but will look cool. I expect you will see the dividends next year.As for the bonus hops... can't wait to figure out some funky house beer to brew with them... Won't do it to any known style!

#4 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

I planted a bunch of new rhizomes this year and a lot are starting to show. I ordered from two places, and it looks like the hippie organic place sent better rhizomes. They looked nicer, and those are almost all up, while the others are not.

#5 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:08 AM

So last year I planted 4 Rhizomes, but only 1 survived (mt. Hood). One of the rhizomes was in a planter, which I happened to plant two new rhizomes this year. It's a large planter, so I planted one on each side. WELL... whatever plant was in there last year actually survived and is coming up in the middle of the planter. Just wish I knew what it was. I think I'll try to segregate it from the known hops and just call it my "house hops" and figure out how I want to use it later. So, I thought I was going to have 5 plants this year, but now it's 6!

I had a similar experience last year. 2 yrs ago I planted a couple new 'zomes that I had kept in the fridge for too long. Neither of them sprouted but last year one of them did. At least I was able to determine which it was. My garden is gonna be crazy this year with 3yr olds and younger, 9 plants all together

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:47 AM

I'm waiting for my Cascade and Hallertau beds to merge.Should be interesting.

#7 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:48 AM

Any chance one of the new rhizomes covertly sent a shoot over to the middle of the planter? They do that.3rd year: Sterling, Mt. Hood, Willamette2nd year: Centennial1st year: Cascade, Challenger, Glacier, Ultra- Jim

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:21 AM

Any chance one of the new rhizomes covertly sent a shoot over to the middle of the planter? They do that.3rd year: Sterling, Mt. Hood, Willamette2nd year: Centennial1st year: Cascade, Challenger, Glacier, Ultra- Jim

I don't think so. The soil in the pot is pretty loose, so I was able to gently dig down with my hands and the shoot goes down pretty deep, whereas the one that I just planted was fairly shallow. Plus, I only just planted the thing 2 weeks ago and oriented it so that the shoots that were on it stuck out (they turned from white to green in a matter of days) so I have a hard time believing that that many shoots (3 or 4) would migrate that far down and come back up in that short amount of time. It's just crazy, I thought for sure the damn thing was dead because I didn't get one shoot out of it last year. But I do think I'm going to segregate them. When I dig for the rhizome, I'll know for sure.

#9 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

They are some crazy plants. I think my Mt. Hood is secretly plotting to take over the Eastern US. It keeps popping up all over the place.- Jim

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

I understand that like in my case first year hops don't produce much but let me ask this. To what extent is that? Can I expect them to grow tall and produce no hops, or be shorter and still not produce. Is it likely to garner even a few ounces of hops on a first year plant? I understand they do differently each place and you can't predict it for sure but I am just curious on average what a first year crop will do. 2 Nugget, 2 Cascade, 1 Willamette.

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

I understand that like in my case first year hops don't produce much but let me ask this. To what extent is that? Can I expect them to grow tall and produce no hops, or be shorter and still not produce. Is it likely to garner even a few ounces of hops on a first year plant? I understand they do differently each place and you can't predict it for sure but I am just curious on average what a first year crop will do. 2 Nugget, 2 Cascade, 1 Willamette.

the one hop plant I had that grew last year (mt. hood) grew to about 15 or 16 feet (maybe more) and only garnered me one quarter of an ounce... yes... that's right... 0.25 ounces. But it was a lovely looking plant that first year. If you get an ounce off of a first year plant, you will be doing good. But frankly, any hops off of a first year plant is good. Now I'm wondering what exactly my "bonus hops" will do given that it was "in the ground" for over a year. Will it act like a first year hop or a second year hop?

#12 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

Last year my three 2nd year hops and one 1st year hop only gave me a fraction of an ounce total.- Jim

#13 DR0NE

DR0NE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:37 AM

I started last year with a few Cascade plants. I don't have an easy way to let them grow full height, so my plants grew to about 10, maybe 12 feet tall. Each produced about 1.5 ounces after drying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users