#1 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

Wyeast 3787 Trappist High GravityProduces intense esters and phenolic characteristics with complex fruitiness. Does not produce significant amount of iso-amyl acetate (banana esters) or bubble gum esters typical of many yeast of this style. Phenol and ester production are influenced by fermentation temperatures. Phenols tend to dissipate as beer matures. This type of yeast benefits from incremental feeding of sugars during fermentation, making suitable conditions for doubles and triples to ferment to dryness. True top cropping yeast with a broad temperature range.Origin: Flocculation: Medium-HighAttenuation: 74-78%Temperature Range: 64-78F, 18-25CAlcohol Tolerance: 12% ABVStyles: Belgian Dubbel Belgian Golden Strong Ale Belgian Specialty Ale Belgian Tripel Bière de GardeI have brewed a good handful of belgians over the past 2 years and I have found I do not enjoy the strong bubblegum and banana ester I have hit in the 1214 Abbey Ale. The 3787 I have enjoyed, I find it has exactly what I enjoy about belgian yeasts and none of the other flavours that tend to push me away from some styles. Has anyone done something like a De Konnick clone or brew in that ballpark - like a belgian pale - with the Trappist High Gravity yeast? I want to do a sort of session belgian, but I don't want to make 5 gallons of something I'm not as into. Also can anyone suggest another belgian yeast that has a similar profile to the 3787 but better suited to a pale?:devil:

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

ET. All I can say is give the 3522 Belgian Ardennes yeast a go. I have brewed all my Belgians with this yeast from Blondes to IPA, Tripel and Quad and it is an outstanding yeast. I have served these beers at events and people have loved them. Even with a limited experience of Belgian yeast that one is a keeper to me.

#3 richt

richt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Locationrochester, mn

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

Northern Brewer's Patersbier is a Belgian enkel/single that is totally awesome as a session beer. All pils malt for about 1.048 OG, Saaz bittering addition to about 30 IBUs and then a small addition of Saaz at 10 minutes, ferment with 3787. This makes a great session beer for geeks but it's still approachable for newbs. A ten gallon batch doesn't last long around here.

#4 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:30 AM

cool, I figured it would work to use the 3787 at a lower OG but being as the name is Trappist HIGH Gravity I thought I would consult with the board to see if there is a different profile when using this one in a smaller beer. The Ardennes sounds like it's worth checking out as well, thanks!

#5 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

Wow, ET!I was actually planning to make a belgian pale as a starter for a triple. I was also going to use the High gravity yeast. Now I'm thinking I'll do 5 gals 3787 and 5 gals 3522.I've actually been wanting to try the Ardenns yeast.

#6 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

haha awesome, glad to hear it's not a crazy idea - or if it is then at lest we both had it! Let me know how it goes, this won't hit rotation for a few weeks for me. :angry:

#7 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:07 PM

3787 makes a mighty fine Single.

#8 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:30 AM

You'll get nice spice without the banana/bubblegum with the 3787 if you watch your temps. Nice yeast, and like Drew said, great for a single.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users