#1 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

I'm making a porter and I'd like to approximate this recipe:9.5 lbs Maris Otter 1.25 lbs CRYSTAL MALT 1.5 lbs BROWN MALT .25 lbs CHOCOLATE MALT The problem is that I don't have any brown malt. Any suggestions on what to use?

#2 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

from my experience there really is no sub for brown malt - if you cannot get the commercial stuff I would recommend that you make your own. Here's how I do it:Line a large baking pan with aluminum foil and pour 2-row on baking pan to a depth of 1/2in.Preheat oven to 230F - when oven comes to temp place grain in the oven for 45 minutes.After 45 minutes, stir grain and raise your oven's heat to 300F -place grain back into oven.After 20 minutes, stir grain (you could stop here and you would have pale amber malt)Return the grain to the oven for another 20-30 minutes (if you stopped here you would have amber malt).Stir them again, and then raise the temp to 350F and check the grains every 20 minutes or so. When you cut grain in 1/2 the inside of the kernel should be the color of a paper bag. I usually sample about 10 kernels at a time and when ~60% are the color I'm looking for I stop. After they have cooled, place them in a paper bag for about a week to allow them to off gas some of the harsh flavors created in the roasting process.

Edited by ewanzel, 28 April 2009 - 12:15 PM.

#3 nitroglycerin11

nitroglycerin11

Comptroller of Bulgaria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

from my experience there really is no sub for brown malt - if you cannot get the commercial stuff I would recommend that you make your own. Here's how I do it:Line a large baking pan with aluminum foil and pour 2-row on baking pan to a depth of 1/2in.Preheat oven to 230F - when oven comes to temp place grain in the oven for 45 minutes.After 45 minutes, stir grain and raise your oven's heat to 300F -place grain back into oven.After 20 minutes, stir grain (you could stop here and you would have pale amber malt)Return the grain to the oven for another 20-30 minutes (if you stopped here you would have amber malt).Stir them again, and then raise the temp to 350F and check the grains every 20 minutes or so. When you cut grain in 1/2 the inside of the kernel should be the color of a paper bag. I usually sample about 10 kernels at a time and when ~60% are the color I'm looking for I stop. After they have cooled, place them in a paper bag for about a week to allow them to off gas some of the harsh flavors created in the roasting process.

That is AWESOME info. Thanks for the know-how. :P

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

FAQ

#5 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

If you aren't up for the MYO approach, 1# Victory or Biscuit and .5# Special Roast will make a reasonable substitution.

#6 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

If you aren't up for the MYO approach, 1# Victory or Biscuit and .5# Special Roast will make a reasonable substitution.

I'd think you need more malt then any of those to get the same flavor as 1.5# of brown malt (although I'm not sure about SR) even then I wouldn't call it close. Victory and biscuit are much more subtler and toasty with out the bassy punch of brown. Possibly up the chocolate and amber or one of those.

#7 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

Sub 1 for 1 with Briess Special Roast if you can get that. It is a Brown Malt.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

Sub 1 for 1 with Briess Special Roast if you can get that. It is a Brown Malt.

Really? Talk to me......... IIRC, Victory is playing AAA hoping to get called up to the big leagues.SR is really one of my favorite specialty malts in moderation, never thought of it as a brown though but I do think Victory is similar but only batting .200

#9 tjthresh

tjthresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

You can order brown malt from Mid Country.

#10 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

Really? Talk to me......... IIRC, Victory is playing AAA hoping to get called up to the big leagues.SR is really one of my favorite specialty malts in moderation, never thought of it as a brown though but I do think Victory is similar but only batting .200

I'm interested too. I always thought of victory as a good sub for amber malt since it is in the same lovibond range and imparts similar flavors. Special roast is about 50L whereas brown malt is around 65-100L IIRC.

#11 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

SR is really one of my favorite specialty malts in moderation, never thought of it as a brown though . . .

Would it be too much of a hijack to ask for more information on Special Roast? I've never used it, but I have some on order. I was thinking of using it in an Irish Red and maby a Vienna. What should I expect from it and how much is "in moderation"?- Jim

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:53 AM

Would it be too much of a hijack to ask for more information on Special Roast? I've never used it, but I have some on order. I was thinking of using it in an Irish Red and maby a Vienna. What should I expect from it and how much is "in moderation"?

I never really thought about it as a brown malt either but I guess Drew's right. I always thought of SR as a darker malt in the amber/victory/biscuit family but that pretty much describes brown malt doesn't it?I probably would not use it in an Irish Red (but maybe) and I definitely wouldn't use it in a Vienna. It's hard to describe. It's got what victory malt has but more of it, if that makes any sense to you. It has a saltine cracker flavor that is sharper with a bit of roastiness. I think the best place to use it is in milds, browns, Scottish ales and porters. You could probably use some in a dubbel. "In moderation" is very subjective so it's hard for me to tell you how much to use. It would depend on the type of beer and how much you like the flavor that it contributes. Anywhere from several ounces to a pound or two might be appropriate depending on the style.

#13 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:05 AM

I never really thought about it as a brown malt either but I guess Drew's right. I always thought of SR as a darker malt in the amber/victory/biscuit family but that pretty much describes brown malt doesn't it?

I've been munching on some grains thinking about this and I get more of a slight sourness from special roast that I don't think is present in brown malt. Does anyone else get this, or is it just be my taste buds playing tricks on me. I'll agree that you get a lot of the same bready/biscuit flavors and it would work in a pinch, but I still think they are very different creatures.

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

I've been munching on some grains thinking about this and I get more of a slight sourness from special roast that I don't think is present in brown malt. Does anyone else get this, or is it just be my taste buds playing tricks on me. I'll agree that you get a lot of the same bready/biscuit flavors and it would work in a pinch, but I still think they are very different creatures.

I've never noticed it but Briess does list a sourdough flavor in their description.

#15 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:07 AM

I use Special Roast in my Homeward Brown, Black Sky Stout Porter and the joint venture of an Irish Red I brewed with Alpha Male.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users