#1 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:35 AM

Yesterday, I picked up a sixer of the 2010 SA longshot winners. Here are my thoughts:Old Ben Ale - Complex and rich malt character, with dark fruit & raisin. I think I can find a hint of vanilla in there, as if from oak, but it's very subtle. I also seem to pick up some slight notes of oxidation (maybe on purpose to fit the style). Overall, it starts very tasty and interesting, but quickly saturates the palate. Halfway though the glass, it seemed overly sticky sweet and cloying, with no trace of hops for balance. It's rare that I have to push myself to finish a beer, but this was one of them. It's probably dead on for style, but maybe not my favorite style.Lemon Pepper Saison - An unremarkable saison, except a bit of strangeness from the lemon flavor. I was expecting something refreshing and zippy, but I was dissapointed in that it didn't seem as dry as a good Saison should be, there seemed to be a minerally aftertaste, and I found myself wishing for a hint of hops to cleanse the palate.Mile High Barley Wine - This was my favorite of the bunch. A very balanced and pleasing example of an American Barleywine. The dark fruit and intense maltiness was there, but the American Hops were present in abundance to keep me wanting another sip. I thought it overkill that with just three selections, SA would pick an old ale and a barleywine, both. This barleywine was what I wished for when I tasted the old ale, but I think it would have been better to include a more disparate style in the mix.Overall, I was disappointed. I liked last year's lineup better. Still interesting to sample though.What did everyone else think?

Edited by stellarbrew, 30 April 2010 - 09:35 AM.

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

I haven't had it yet, but I was really interested to try the saison. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll skip the longshot pack this year...

#3 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:14 PM

I haven't had it yet, but I was really interested to try the saison. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll skip the longshot pack this year...

Get another opinion before you decide to skip it. I'm not renowed for my extraordinary beer sensory acumen; other people's perceptions could differ from mine. :devil:

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

I'll have t give it a shot...a long shot! ba-dum-tshhh!!!! :devil:

#5 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

The Saison was OK. Like last year's dopplebock, the old ale and the barleywine are too young. Throw them in the cellar for a year or two. That said, I have to get down there to retrieve a bottle of last year's dopplebock and see how it's improved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users