#1 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26197 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:50 PM

Thinking about getting 2 of these to use a fermenters - The images are copyrighted so I can't hotlink - Linky-pooI'm thinking they are cheaper then a conical, easier to clean then a keg, and all the benefits of stainless. The handles should make it easy to get in/out of a fermentation fridge. Fermenter geometry seems pretty good. The 2" tri-clap is a nice bonus that should allow me to transfer with CO2 with the right fitting. They seem ideal for my current brewing situation, but can anyone think of any potential problems with these?

#2 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:52 PM

I'm a big fan of cylindroconocals. (sp?)I think that if homebrewers with the wherewithal adopted this format and blew cone, they would produce much better beers, have better yeast crops and generally be happier.They are expensive, and they are hard to set up for temp control, but they are the best vessels.MolBasser

#3 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:02 AM

A sanke fermenter accepts a 2" clamp as well. I had swag weld me up a fancy cap with compression fitting for a 1/2" ss racking cane and a blowoff port a few months back. Now I rack with CO2, sorta one of those "Why didn't I start doing this three years ago?" feelings. My only issue with your milk can is price, but then again, I'm an unabashed cheap skate :mellow:

#4 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26197 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:41 AM

I'm a big fan of cylindroconocals. (sp?)I think that if homebrewers with the wherewithal adopted this format and blew cone, they would produce much better beers, have better yeast crops and generally be happier.They are expensive, and they are hard to set up for temp control, but they are the best vessels.MolBasser

I considered the HB conicals, and unless I dropped the coin for the temp controlled conicals from more beer they just aren't practical for me. I buddy of mine has a 7 gallon blichmann, and I've seen him struggle to wrestle that top heavy beast into a fridge more then a few times and realized it's not for me. However, I do agree they are probably the best option.

A sanke fermenter accepts a 2" clamp as well. I had swag weld me up a fancy cap with compression fitting for a 1/2" ss racking cane and a blowoff port a few months back. Now I rack with CO2, sorta one of those "Why didn't I start doing this three years ago?" feelings. My only issue with your milk can is price, but then again, I'm an unabashed cheap skate :mellow:

Yeah, I was thinking I would hit up swag for something similar if I go this route and can't get Larry the local guy to do it for me. I have one Hoff-Stevens that I ferment in now, and don't like that I can't see in it to make sure it's thoroughly cleaned. 2 of these should fit in my fermentation fridge (compared to 1 keg), and I could scoop yeast for washing and further use from the bottom like you would from a bucket.

#5 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:18 AM

Yeah, I was thinking I would hit up swag for something similar if I go this route and can't get Larry the local guy to do it for me. I have one Hoff-Stevens that I ferment in now, and don't like that I can't see in it to make sure it's thoroughly cleaned. 2 of these should fit in my fermentation fridge (compared to 1 keg), and I could scoop yeast for washing and further use from the bottom like you would from a bucket.

I can understand your reasoning, I'd love to have temp controlled conicals for yeast harvesting. For my sankes, after I rack out the beer I add a liter of sterile water and swirl the keg, reattach the fitting and push the slurry out thru the racking cane with CO2. Then I rinse it out and throw it on keg cleaner, does a great job of getting stuff squeaky clean. At this point I'm considering completely switching over to sankes.

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16537 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:35 AM

Your buddy needs to learn to pump into his conical and co2 rack out. No lifting, no problems. A few of us have large conicals in upright temp controlled freezers. Throw a short piece of plywood at the bottom on the inside so when you open/close the door, the majority of the cold air stays inside the upright. My biggest thing with the milk can is its only 13g. 15g would be better. That and when you have 10g of wort in there, you wont be lifting that thing around at all. You will be in the same boat as your buddy with the conical. Co2 racking is your friend, friend.

#7 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26197 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:05 AM

We both use gravity systems (no pumps). I also brew about a mile away from where I ferment right now, so portability is somewhat important. I need to be able to put the vessel on a 4 wheel cart so I can take it home and up an elevator 6 stories. Do you think 11 gallons in a 13 gallon vessel w/ foam control is pushing it?

#8 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16537 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:09 AM

We both use gravity systems (no pumps). I also brew about a mile away from where I ferment right now, so portability is somewhat important. I need to be able to put the vessel on a 4 wheel cart so I can take it home and up an elevator 6 stories. Do you think 11 gallons in a 13 gallon vessel w/ foam control is pushing it?

Sounds like a plan. I forget sometimes how difficult it is for some people since i have a dedicate brew room on a walkout basement. I think 11g in 13g will work just fine. A vigorous top cropper may give you fits on occasion. Just think about yeast cultivation. SB has found a decent way to do it.

#9 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16537 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:39 AM

How is it that I live in the Lakewood area and haven't heard of this place yet!?

Ive know about this place for years. I think you have been to busy chasing earthquakes to notice!!! :mellow:

#10 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14764 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:37 AM

Basser, as an industry pro, what's your opinion on fermenting in corny kegs?

#11 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:44 AM

https://www.minibrew...ex&cPath=5These are quite interesting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users