6 replies to this topic

#1 Doomsday Brewery

Doomsday Brewery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

I just bought a Frigidaire upright freezer to use as a fermenter it has removable shelves and I want to direct wire my Johnson A419 controller to it. I know you can take the cover in the back inside of the freezer off and all the wiring is there with the cooling coil and fan. Does any one know what wires need to be run to the controller?

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

For my chest freezer/kegerator I just cut the cord and wired the hot wire to the controller. Grounded it too since it was an analog Johnson with a metal cover.

#3 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9175 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:57 AM

I just bought a Frigidaire upright freezer to use as a fermenter it has removable shelves and I want to direct wire my Johnson A419 controller to it. I know you can take the cover in the back inside of the freezer off and all the wiring is there with the cooling coil and fan. Does any one know what wires need to be run to the controller?

If you really want to do that you can remove the wires that go to the thermostat and wire your controller in their place.

#4 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

I also just cut in at the power cord. If you want to keep your cord intact, you can set it up to switch an outlet that you then plug the fridge into. You would also need to run control power around the switched outlet though.

#5 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28478 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:00 PM

I just grabbed an extension cord and cut it down to 5' leads for all my controllers. I just plug my freezers into them and don't mess with the stock wiring. I have no concerns on my ability to wire but there is no benefit in doing so to me, plus it allows me to plug and play if ever needed.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:55 PM

I just grabbed an extension cord and cut it down to 5' leads for all my controllers. I just plug my freezers into them and don't mess with the stock wiring. I have no concerns on my ability to wire but there is no benefit in doing so to me, plus it allows me to plug and play if ever needed.

That's probably the best solution. Forgot that I have my EHLT wired that way.

#7 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:46 AM

I just used an appliance extension cord to wire my Ranco ETC 111-000 controller, and can plug whatever device into it that I desire. No reason to cut into a perfectly good fridge or freezer system at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users