#1 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:27 AM

We're going into day eight of primary fermentation for my American hefeweizen and I'm still getting air lock activity every 5-6 seconds. The same recipe brewed last year with US-05 only took about 5 days for primary fermentation. This is a 10 gallon batch with an OG of 1.059 and a 2000ml stir plate starter. Fermentation temp has been held steady at 67°. Not that I'm getting anxious about my first batch of wheat beer for the coming warm season or anything :P but has anyone else experienced slower fermentation with this strain?

Edited by OprFilth, 28 April 2009 - 05:28 AM.

#2 Stuster

Stuster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:34 AM

I've used it before and it worked fine and in a reasonable time frame. Are you sure it's not finished? Have you taken the gravity?

#3 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

I'm not a big fan of mucking around with a beer if there is still a good amount of air lock activity so I haven't pulled a sample. Figured the most sanitary thing to do would be post on here and see what you guys have seen of this yeast.

#4 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

I'm not a big fan of mucking around with a beer if there is still a good amount of air lock activity so I haven't pulled a sample. Figured the most sanitary thing to do would be post on here and see what you guys have seen of this yeast.

I can't say posting here would be the most sanitary... :P

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

Airlock activity won't tell you how close a beer is done to fermenting. Bubbling every so often could just be CO2 evolving. 8 days is pretty short. If it were me I'd wait a day or two and start taking gravity samples to see if fermentation is complete.

Edited by chuck_d, 28 April 2009 - 12:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users