#1 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25652 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

The Griffin Group, an investment and consulting company focused on beverage alcohol brands, announced its acquisition of Anchor Brewing Company which includes its portfolio of craft beers and artisan spirits, including the award winning Anchor Steam Beer.The Griffin Group is led by beverage alcohol veterans, Keith Greggor and Tony Foglio, two longtime San Francisco residents who have been working with Anchor Brewing Company’s owner, Fritz Maytag to maintain the iconic brewery and distillery in San Francisco.

The rest of the storyAnother Story

Expansion plansThe new owners of Anchor Brewing plan to capitalize on the firm's reputation to expand their footprint in distinctive beers and spirits. Through their Griffin Group investment company, Greggor and Foglio have already acquired Preiss Imports, a 14-person San Diego firm that specializes in fine spirits. They also have a minority interest in BrewDog PLC, a large independent brewery in Scotland, and hope to make that brew locally.Greggor said the deal to acquire the company came about after he and Foglio purchased Preiss and started talking with Maytag, who they had met some years earlier, about their plans."After 45 years of running the business I think he felt it was time to let somebody else help lead the way," Greggor said.

#2 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:56 AM

That's a whole lot better than InBev!

#3 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

Wow! what's next Griffin blue cheese?

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

This is interesting for such an awesome and famed brewery. I find it ironic that I came across this story today as well. New owners or coincidence? Never had the beer though myself. Seasonal Release

#5 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:25 PM

I can understand Fritz wanting to enjoy his life after creating such a huge impact on the craft beer world...impact, maybe creating the craft beer movement in the US would be a better description. With that said, I still feel a bit skeptical about whether or not the beer will still be the same or if they will just market the hell out of it and taint the rep. which had taken so long to develop. Best wishes, and thanks Fritz Maytag for helping create a culture which would not be the same without his contributions.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

I can understand Fritz wanting to enjoy his life after creating such a huge impact on the craft beer world...impact, maybe creating the craft beer movement in the US would be a better description. With that said, I still feel a bit skeptical about whether or not the beer will still be the same or if they will just market the hell out of it and taint the rep. which had taken so long to develop. Best wishes, and thanks Fritz Maytag for helping create a culture which would not be the same without his contributions.

He was certainly on of the influences that started me down the path. Stated well.

#7 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

We all about defecated a single masonry unit the brewery this morning.

#8 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

Yeah, the industry was pretty much caught off guard. So far, it doesn't seem to be the worst thing for beer lovers, and Fritz said he needed a break.He will be chairman emeritus of the new company, so he hasn't given up all influence.MolBasser

#9 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:58 AM

The huffpost has a story on it too. https://www.huffingt...4464.htmlAnchor Brewing SOLD: Griffin Group Buys San Francisco Beer CompanyIt claims that it was sold to the guys who developed the Sky Vodka brand.

#10 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14764 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

I'm a bit shocked to see this. That being said, I hope it will eventually mean better availability of their products on the East Coast.I like Anchor Steam, but I never buy it because I always question the freshness. I recently learned to read their bottling code. I've looked for Anchor in over a half dozen beer stores, and I cannot find any that was brewed since October '09. I'm really surprised that their product doesn't move better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users