#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:17 AM

I brewed my Sneaky Big Blonde Ale on Friday night and pitched a liter and a half of of WYeast 2565 Kolsch yeast. I've been using the swamp bucket method to ferment in which has worked great. I've been rotating frozen water bottles and my temps have stayed between 55-58 degrees. My question is about my secondary fermentation. I don't have the ability to "lager" so should I keep my secondary in the swamp bucket and just keep the temps as low as possible? Any other suggestions or tips?Thanks Board!

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:45 AM

Do you use a gel solution? Since it's a blonde and since you used 2565 (a nototiously low-floccing yeast), a gel solution in secondary may be a good idea. Other than that, try to keep it as cool as you can. The water will keep it a little cooler, but I don't think you have to continue to rotate water bottles for 3 weeks after you rack the beer to secondary. Cool & dark with some gel for 2-3 weeks should get you to a very nice, pale colored and clear blonde ale. Good luck Chad!

#3 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

I have never used a gel before for fining purposes I assume you're talking about, Ken? I do have to run to the LHBS this week though so I can pick some up.Interesting that the WYeast website says that their 2565 Kolsch yeast is an ale/lager hybrid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users