#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48174 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

How strong is the caustic used for cleaning breweries? Anybody know how much crystal lye to add per gallon to get that strength?Same question about acid cleaner... How much 31% HCL to get the acid solution to alternate with the caustic?

#2 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

5% for caustic.I'll have to check for acid.MolBasser

#3 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

5 grams of caustic per 100ml of water to get the concentration that you are looking for.You can get away with 3.MolBasser

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48174 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

5% for caustic.I'll have to check for acid.MolBasser

Check my math, because this sounds like an unbelievable amount of lye...11 gallons of water = 41 liters = 41000 grams. 5% solution by mass would need almost 2 kg of lye. Can that be right?

#5 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

2kg in 11 gallons sounds about right.Like I said, you can get away with 3%, but 5% is the industry standard.This is not a solution to play with, the object is to obliterate any soil.MolBasser

#6 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

Get the water hot too.MolBasser

#7 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48174 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

It's running now. I dropped it down to 5 gallons and added all the lye I had. About 480g, which puts me just under 3%. 160F. Seems to be cleaning up pretty well - the solution is getting brownish. How long should I run this?

#8 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:31 PM

What are you cleaning?CIP cycles in the brewery run about 30 minutes with caustic.MolBasser

#9 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48174 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:33 PM

I'm cleaning the kettle, pump, tubing, etc.I ran it 30 minutes, then 30 minutes of plain water. Getting ready to switch to acid. Does 2% sound right?

#10 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

We generally use 3% with standard caustic, like Mol said, and 1-1.5% with acid. But we use an acid-basic cleaner, not straight up HCL so I'm not sure what you should do.I should also add that we don't use standard caustic except for fairly light cleaning -- we have stronger stuff that we use for most serious cleaning. That we usually use in a 1-2% solution.

#11 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48174 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

Everything got nice and clean with <3% caustic and ~1% HCL, with a hot water rinse in between and after. Everything I can fit in is now in the pressure cooker getting hopefully sterilized.Thanks for the help, Folks.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

Everything got nice and clean with <3% caustic and ~1% HCL, with a hot water rinse in between and after. Everything I can fit in is now in the pressure cooker getting hopefully sterilized.Thanks for the help, Folks.

Was there a problem or just general housecleaning?

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48174 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

Was there a problem or just general housecleaning?

Linky

#14 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:29 AM

I still say, do a stout. :devil:Hope you are wearing eye protection when working with this stuff, George.

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

I still say, do a stout. :devil:Hope you are wearing eye protection when working with this stuff, George.

George is a former snipe, he knows his PPE.say George have you set up a PMS schedule for your brewing equipment yet? :devil: :zhitit:

#16 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

Where did you get your lye and hcl from?Online prices seem either crazy expensive for small amounts or very reasonable for large amounts. Ie 4lbs of lye for $17 shipped or 50lbs for $90 shipped. HCL 32% is the same. 5 gallons for $63 shipped or 1 gallon for $40 shipped.Just not sure if I need 50lbs of lye and 5 gallons of 32% hcl.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:25 PM

Where did you get your lye and hcl from?Online prices seem either crazy expensive for small amounts or very reasonable for large amounts. Ie 4lbs of lye for $17 shipped or 50lbs for $90 shipped. HCL 32% is the same. 5 gallons for $63 shipped or 1 gallon for $40 shipped.Just not sure if I need 50lbs of lye and 5 gallons of 32% hcl.

Local Hardware store for me, they have 1lbs containers of lye for $3, and 1 gallon of Muriatic acid for $4 something.

#18 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48174 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

Local Hardware store for me, they have 1lbs containers of lye for $3, and 1 gallon of Muriatic acid for $4 something.

Lye came from hardware store drain cleaner. HCl I got from a guy at work who has a large supply of 20 Baume acid for some reason.

#19 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

Lye came from hardware store drain cleaner. HCl I got from a guy at work who has a large supply of 20 Baume acid for some reason.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users