#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48176 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:52 AM

I am going to brew today, I just don't know what. It's going to be an impromptu. Help me pick something, I am completely open - within my ingredients available, except no APA. This will be my second beer since re-starting. The first one was MLPA and I want something different on tap. I'm leaning away from lagers for the same reason since I need to fill the keggerator ASAP and lagers are kinda slow. Guess I'm not completely open. :DI have:lots of pale maltlots of malted wheatseveral pounds of crystal 60Lseveral pounds of carapilsA little roasted barley, a little black patent, a little chocolateplenty of:willamette, mt hood, amarillo, homegrown glacier, and libertyYeasts on hand are S-05, S-04 and S-189, and I have a good compliment of brewing spices.I was thinking of making a wheat beer with wit spices, but S-05. Yeast is already good to go from the MLPA. Should be sort of like Blue Moon. I've also been planning on a stout with cocao nibs, but I'm not really feeling that today...Help me out?

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10787 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

I say make a porter

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:36 AM

Ordinarry BitterM.O.a touch of Wheat Maltand a splash of Crystal 60gravity 1.039 ishbitter with Willamette finish with Homegrown Glacierperhaps 30 IBUsferment with s-04should be ready pretty quicklythough the american Wit sounds tasty as well :D

#4 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

American brown.

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48176 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

Leaning toward a parti-gyle now with the American wit and a Berlinner weisse...

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

Leaning toward a parti-gyle now with the American wit and a Berlinner weisse...

ohhhnow there's a thought, someday I'll do a Berlinnerthe potential astringency in the low gravity second runnings for the BW, wouldn't be a totally bad thing eitherI have done a pair of the Am Wits, pretty damned yummy on a hot afternoon watching baseball

#7 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48176 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:03 PM

Well, crap. Change of plans.Looks like I'll be autoclaving/replacing everything in my brewery instead of brewing. I tasted the MLPA before kegging and it's effing infected. That's the 3rd batch in a row :blink:, the previous two having a lot to do with my not brewing in a while. I cleaned up a lot of stuff, was VERY careful about sanitation for this batch, but no luck. This will be 30 gallons dumped. :zhitit: So this afternoon has now become disassembling everything, breaking out the pressure cooker and reprocessing everything. :D :D :smilielol: :smilielol: :zhitit:

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10787 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

George, too bad about that. I have a wild spontanteous beer fermenting in my basement brewery area and I'm afraid on this happening. I used all back up equipment for that batch and still soaked everything overnight in sanitizer. Good luck finding the source of the problem.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

Well, crap. Change of plans.Looks like I'll be autoclaving/replacing everything in my brewery instead of brewing. I tasted the MLPA before kegging and it's effing infected. That's the 3rd batch in a row :blink:, the previous two having a lot to do with my not brewing in a while. I cleaned up a lot of stuff, was VERY careful about sanitation for this batch, but no luck. This will be 30 gallons dumped. :zhitit: So this afternoon has now become disassembling everything, breaking out the pressure cooker and reprocessing everything. :D :D :smilielol: :smilielol: :zhitit:

that really blows!too late to make a BMLPA?

#10 mikebrad

mikebrad

Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4038 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:20 AM

what kind of system do you brew with and where do you think the issue is? is there a reason to think it would be anything before the boil kettle? i'd be interested to know what you find.

#11 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48176 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:32 AM

what kind of system do you brew with and where do you think the issue is? is there a reason to think it would be anything before the boil kettle? i'd be interested to know what you find.

I have no idea where the problem might be; that's what is so frustrating about it. Like I said, I cleaned and sanitized everything likely before this last batch and it still ended up infected. Yesterday, I ran those cleaning solutions, then took the QD's off the hoses and pressure-cooked everything. My airlocks didn't hold up well to the pressure cooker, so I'll be buying new ones, but I ran all the rubber stoppers, too. Tonight, I'm going to take the kettle valve off and apart and run it through pressure. IM chiller is too big for the cooker, I'll have to see if it fits in the oven. If not, a long soak in iodophor will have to do. Pump comes apart tonight for a soak as well. (After seeing what happened to the airlocks, I hesitate to try pressure cooking the plastic pump head.) I'll be replacing my working solution of starsan as well. Finally, the cart itself will get wheeled out and scrubbed down - to the extent it can given the electrical wiring...

#12 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:38 AM

I hesitate to try pressure cooking the plastic pump head.)

I have boiled my pump head in PBW before without issues- not sure about pressureccoker temps though, but a PBW boil, then a regular boil should do the trick.Sucks to hear

#13 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:54 AM

What a PIA. I would think the pump or kettle valve would be the likely suspects. Hopefully you have it taken care of.

#14 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48176 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:07 AM

What a PIA. I would think the pump or kettle valve would be the likely suspects. Hopefully you have it taken care of.

That will be tonight. Weird thing is that my process sends boiling wort through both those places as I get ready for the recirc-chill. Even if there were gunk in there, they should get hot enough to kill anything in it. I don't know.

#15 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:20 AM

George, sorry to hear you're infected. Or rather your beer is.BTW I vote a stout when you get it together, in case you couldn't anticipate my choice. :devil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users