#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48177 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

Picked up a Six of Ranger IPA from New Belgium tonight. It looks like a special release because it doesn't have their typical, glitzy label but just a matte olive drab label with very little artwork.Very good. This beer has the freshest Simcoe taste/aroma I've ever encountered outside of homebrew. IME, it's really rare to get hops this fresh in a bottle.If you see some, it's worth checking out.ETA: Link Whoops, I meant Simcoe. :unsure:

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:18 AM

It looks like a special release because it doesn't have their typical, glitzy label but just a matte olive drab label with very little artwork.

The Ranger IPA is a nice IPA. I have it back in Feb at a local multitap and really enjoyed it. I read a story a few weeks back that NB redesigned their labels for most of their year rounds and went with the format that you see on the Ranger IPA packaging. I was at the grocery store last night and they had the Mothership with in bottles and the labels were of the same design too. Its a nice beer that I do plan to get more of too. Guest is right its part of their year round releases. Yea!! Cheers.

#3 mach5

mach5

Helibottle Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationColumbia, PA

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:17 AM

Pretty good beer...I just picked some up in a trade. I thought it was very well balanced for an IPA and had an awesome aroma.

#4 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14817 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:00 AM

I wasn't terribly impressed with it. I must admit that it had a nice aroma.I think the base beer just tastes too much like all of their other seasonal beers. I mean, I like them all, but they just sort of all have a common flavor.I had the Mighty Arrow on draft a few nights ago and thought it wasn't bad either.Still love the Mothership and 1554.

#5 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

I have had it a number of times lately and really really like it. I have to say the bottle is good, but the draft version is much much better. I would seek it out on tap and compare.

#6 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25768 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:35 PM

The Simcoe jumped out at me. Very much with the piney to the fore. It was still what I would expect an IPA from New Belgium to be. These guys are not about screaming beers jumping out of a glass. They make beers with finesse. This is an IPA with some reserve. Which I can enjoy. If you like other New Belgium beers and like American hop IPA, this is worth picking up.zymot

#7 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:15 AM

Yeah, I like Ranger IPA. Good stuff.

#8 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

I thought it was a decent beer. Good hop aroma, but pretty weak on malt backbone, just seemed a bit watered down.

#9 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

Ok beer. Crisp and clean like i prefer my beers. But its one dimensional. I like Simcoe, but it needs to be blended properly with other citrus hops. This beer fails in that category. I can drink two pints and im done with this beer for awhile. Given a choice, Ranger stays on the shelf 8/10 times.

#10 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23624 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:38 AM

Saw this for the first time yesterday, will be trying soon cause I'm curious, thanks for info guys!!! Love Simcoe, but I'm curious to see what this brewery has done with it. I have not been too impressed with their offerings as of late....they are no Sierra Nevada or Stone or Bells, etc.etc.

#11 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15036 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:55 PM

I'll have to pick this up, if for no other reason then to get a really good idea of how to use Simcoe (not sure if I've ever used it before, and if I have it was with other hops).

#12 wertydc

wertydc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

I've seen it in the store for a while now, but finally picked some up over the weekend. I think it is pretty solid. I agree with the crisp comment from above. I get a biscuity taste that reminds me of an IPA I did a while back that had about a pound of biscuit malt (5gal). It is not tops on my list of IPAs, but I'll pick it up again, especially if on sale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users