12 replies to this topic

#1 Flashman

Flashman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

I've been brewing for almost three years and I finally did my first all grain batch today. Overall, I think it went well. Gravity ended up a little too high because I boiled off too much and my mash temperature was two degrees lower than what I was shooting for. The only downside was the additional time it took, but even with that, I think I will enjoy all grain brewing more. I even made some dog biscuits with the spent grain when I was done.Anyways...just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I don't post much, but I read this forum religiously, and all the knowledge that I've picked up since I started brewing made the move from extract, to mini-mash, to all-grain pretty easy. :shock:

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

Congrats Flashman. Sounds like your first AG went pretty well. There are worse problems to have than a higher SG than you projected :shock: Hope your fermentation goes strong. This is a good place with lots of great guys and great advice. Keep on reading and brewing. Cheers!!

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

I've been brewing for almost three years and I finally did my first all grain batch today. Overall, I think it went well. Gravity ended up a little too high because I boiled off too much and my mash temperature was two degrees lower than what I was shooting for. The only downside was the additional time it took, but even with that, I think I will enjoy all grain brewing more. I even made some dog biscuits with the spent grain when I was done.Anyways...just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I don't post much, but I read this forum religiously, and all the knowledge that I've picked up since I started brewing made the move from extract, to mini-mash, to all-grain pretty easy. :shock:

My dogs eat my spent grain (I don't give it to them either, they just get into it). Congrats on the first AG beer!Cheers,Rich

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

Congrats Flashman!welcome to the AG game man.a little high on the gravity is a good problem to have, lol.As to spent grain it also makes a great fertilizer.

#5 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10787 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

I don't know if you were doing full volume extract batches or not. However, you will find it very handy to mark your kettle or a spoon/rod to be able to tell your volume. This way you can guage your boil off rate and if much greater than expected you can add top up water or more wort to the boil. Congrats on getting through the first batch. I know when I finally got over the fear of how complicated it sounded I wish I jumped to all grain sooner.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64255 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

Congrats, Flashman! You're gonna love AG brewing. The options are limitless. It gives you so much control over the process. Good luck and stick around. Hopefully we can all learn something about this great hobby from each other!

#7 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

WElcome aboard the AG team! It took me about 6 months to make the jump and have never looked back. :shock:

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

Congrats on your first AG batch. Consider yourself lucky... I think most people on their first AG have a gravity that comes in low. For my first few batches, I kept some DME on hand to make adjustments.What type of equipment are you using/did you build???

#9 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31576 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:13 PM

Congrats! :blink: Also FYI - Chickens go crazy for the spent grains. :shock:

#10 Flashman

Flashman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:40 PM

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed all grain better than extract and I'm looking forward to all the new possibilities. Unfortunately, I won't be able to report on the final results of this beer for a while...it was an Oktoberfest.

What type of equipment are you using/did you build???

I have a converted keg that I use for my kettle and I built a mash tun out of an igloo ice cube cooler using the stainless braid off a water heater hose.

#11 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

Congrats for sure on the first all-grain batch.If i don't make a batch once a month im going stir-crazy around here. And the taste is great. You should make a pale ale/or an IPA next to consume this summer.Any planned yet?

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed all grain better than extract and I'm looking forward to all the new possibilities. Unfortunately, I won't be able to report on the final results of this beer for a while...it was an Oktoberfest. I have a converted keg that I use for my kettle and I built a mash tun out of an igloo ice cube cooler using the stainless braid off a water heater hose.

Excellent. Batch sparging I assume. Yeah, you can get some great efficiency off of batch sparging. Personally, I fly sparge and get just above 75%. Denny is a huge proponent of batch sparging and the simple setup that you put together. In the end, it really doesn't matter as long as you have drinkable beer! :unsure:

#13 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31576 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

In the end, it really doesn't matter as long as you have drinkable beer! :unsure:

This a hundred times to the 7th power.Getting beer in the end is the important part, not getting an ego about your methods. If you get good beer, then your methods are fine. :covreyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users