#1 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

So I have been brewing up a few English style beers and really enjoying them so far in the last few weeks. I have a smack pack of Wyeast 1026 British Cask Ale yeast. The pack is from September 2008. Yes I know old. It was stored up till the beginning of last week in the fridge untouched. I brought it out and popped it. It has finally swelled to full expansion of the smack pack pouch. I loved brewing with this yeast back in 2008 and would really love to build this pack up and brew several beers with it. My question or problem is that I have never tried to bring an old smack pack back from the dead (the fully swelled pack gives me hope though) I am wondering if any of you can suggest a stepping up method to build this yeast up to pitchable for say a 1.050 English styled beer. I have a stir plate and a couple 2L flasks. What volumes would you build this up as? Any suggestions are welcome. :blink:

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:35 PM

I would just keep stepping it up until I got the amount of yeast I wanted. That might be once or it might be 2-3 times; who knows how much of the yeast in the smack pack is still viable. No way to predict that so keep making yeast until you've got enough.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:00 AM

I'm no expert but I brought a much older one back to life not too long ago. Assuming a 5 gal batch I would probably start with 1/2 L, let it ferment out, chill, decant and go with what would be your ideal volume. It really depends on how much yeast is still perking - and who knows.

#4 Mashtun

Mashtun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

I did this https://www.basicbre...8-CPR-for-Yeast with a White Labs vial about the same age. Worked fine.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions on building this yeast up. I will work it slowly and see how it grows. Thanks for the advice. I will report back with my results. Cheers!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users