15 replies to this topic

#1 Sharkman

Sharkman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:20 AM

I tried a new Fermentis yeast in five gallons of a 10 gallon batch of my session IPA last month.I like the way it turned out. The LHBS said it was a new offering and (I think) he said it was the old "Edmonton strain".It was in a bluish pack. Anyone seen this? When I first got it I could not even find it on the Fermentis website.My LHBS is pretty much out of business, so I can't ask them.What does the Brew Brothers brain trust say?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

I tried a new Fermentis yeast in five gallons of a 10 gallon batch of my session IPA last month.I like the way it turned out. The LHBS said it was a new offering and (I think) he said it was the old "Edmonton strain".It was in a bluish pack. Anyone seen this? When I first got it I could not even find it on the Fermentis website.My LHBS is pretty much out of business, so I can't ask them.What does the Brew Brothers brain trust say?

S-04 comes in a light blue packet. If not this I've got nothing for you. I tried doing some googling but couldn't find anything...

#3 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:38 AM

S-04 is the only blue package that Safale has. The other closest color to blue is WB-06, which is light purplish, the hefe-weisse yeast.

#4 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

Posted ImageHefe-weissePosted ImageS-04

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

I am going to guess it was s-33. It is the old EDME strain. I have used it a couple times now and, I totally disagree with the fermentis assessment of it as "good for belgian styles"It is a British yeast in origin, and it has a little phenolic top it, but it leaves a nice malty profile. I actually used it in the Community Brew we just did, and last year used it in a Dry Stout and a Brown. Nope no Belgianesqe qualities. YMMV

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

S-04 is the only blue package that Safale has. The other closest color to blue is WB-06, which is light purplish, the hefe-weisse yeast.

the s-33 is silver, but the sticker is green on the back.

#7 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

Anybody tried the Safbrew WB-06 for a Hefe before?

#8 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

Will let you know in a week or 2, I got 4 packets in the frdge, but no wheat malt left.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

I got more clove than banana from the one I did last year. Simple Hefe 50/50 Pils/Wheat Malt Hallertuer to 15 IBU. I was underwhelmed by it.

#10 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:36 AM

I got more clove than banana from the one I did last year. Simple Hefe 50/50 Pils/Wheat Malt Hallertuer to 15 IBU. I was underwhelmed by it.

Thanks, maybe?I just bought 5 packs for a quickie for our annual fundraiser. Mugs for Juggs. What temp did you ferment at. I'm guessing it could be temp finicky.

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

Thanks, maybe?I just bought 5 packs for a quickie for our annual fundraiser. Mugs for Juggs. What temp did you ferment at. I'm guessing it could be temp finicky.

lost my promash session, unfortunately. It was on the higher side though 68-70, but that's just a guess.

#12 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

lost my promash session, unfortunately. It was on the higher side though 68-70, but that's just a guess.

59-75F is what the pdf says. Maybe a little warmer to get some more banana?

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

59-75F is what the pdf says. Maybe a little warmer to get some more banana?

wish I could help, I only did the one batch.

#14 Sharkman

Sharkman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

That's it!I was off on the color. For what I brewed it left a nice, malty, nutty profile. Thanks Mike!

the s-33 is silver, but the sticker is green on the back.

#15 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:21 AM

For the WB-06, try fermenting around 62ºF... This is advice from Jamil Z. and it has worked for me with other hefe strains (Wyeast 3068) to get that perfect balance in my book. Give it a try!

#16 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:12 AM

For the WB-06, try fermenting around 62ºF... This is advice from Jamil Z. and it has worked for me with other hefe strains (Wyeast 3068) to get that perfect balance in my book. Give it a try!

I guess that makes sense. Being the ferment temps range from 59-75F. My experience w/ 3068 is the opposite tho. Way to much clove at 62* and found the perfect balance at 68*. Thanks for posting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users