#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

So my old sabco burner just isn't what it used to be. I'm not sure if it is the burner itself or maybe the regulator diaphram thing that is on the fritz. The flame comes out and all but just not at the same ferocity as it used to and it is taking forever for it to get 5 gallons to a boil whereas it was really quick before so I'm not sure anything is wrong with the burner. I know I can get replacement hose/regulators at Depot/Lowes, is there anything special about these things that would make them not work with the burner?Also, if I tear apart the burner is there anything in it that I could damage by taking the top screw off and cleaning up inside the burner with a wire wheel or something to clean the rust off? :D :covreyes:

#2 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:08 PM

Have you checked for spiderwebs in the burner? I have heard that spiders like to get in there, and when they do, they limit the flow enough to where your burner doesn't work as well as it should. If it is just your burner, there should be standard fittings for everything, including the orifices, just check the size.I assume you have already checked to make sure your oxygen dampers are set correctly, and that the OPD device in your tank isn't limiting the flow?

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

Have you checked for spiderwebs in the burner? I have heard that spiders like to get in there, and when they do, they limit the flow enough to where your burner doesn't work as well as it should. If it is just your burner, there should be standard fittings for everything, including the orifices, just check the size.I assume you have already checked to make sure your oxygen dampers are set correctly, and that the OPD device in your tank isn't limiting the flow?

There is a screw that is holding a top piece of the burner, I think I am going to take that off and see what it under it, and clean it out. If it all looks metal, I'll take a wire brush to it and maybe re-paint it with high temp paint. I really think the diaphram thing on the regulator is the main problem. I have had a couple of issues with it in the past where I had to bang on it a little to get it to flow. So I think I will take it off the burner and then find a replacement for it. :covreyes:

#4 Cheatin Bastard

Cheatin Bastard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationThe Beach Los Angeles

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

There is a screw that is holding a top piece of the burner, I think I am going to take that off and see what it under it, and clean it out. If it all looks metal, I'll take a wire brush to it and maybe re-paint it with high temp paint. I really think the diaphram thing on the regulator is the main problem. I have had a couple of issues with it in the past where I had to bang on it a little to get it to flow. So I think I will take it off the burner and then find a replacement for it. :blink:

Unlikly anything wrong with the burner.Possible Regulator.VERY possible your Tank.Swap out tanks. You ought to have a back up anyway. If this does not help then go for a regulator change. Make sure you get a 0 - 20 lb adjustible regulator. You will have serious FLAME ON!!! If you end up with a BBQ regulator from like home depot (You will be screwed)I am a Propane expert. We see many tanks not providing full flow due to the many safety features now on new tanks.C.B

#5 glennh2os

glennh2os

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

Unlikly anything wrong with the burner.Possible Regulator.VERY possible your Tank.Swap out tanks. You ought to have a back up anyway. If this does not help then go for a regulator change. Make sure you get a 0 - 20 lb adjustible regulator. You will have serious FLAME ON!!! If you end up with a BBQ regulator from like home depot (You will be screwed)I am a Propane expert. We see many tanks not providing full flow due to the many safety features now on new tanks.C.B

+1 . Had a very similar thing happen to my burner. Finally had a chat with the guy where I buy my gas, and they told me to bring it in. Guy looked at the burner, swapped out the regulator, fired it up and it was like brand new

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16531 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

Thats why i use a 20psi reg. and a 100# tank that has no OPD. That and i know i get a full 100#' cuz im watching the scale, where a 20 you lucky to get 18#'s.

#7 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

Do you happen to have an online source for a 0 - 20lb regulator so I make sure to get the right one? I'm pretty sure that's it as it does the same thing with two different tanks, one being brand newish. :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users