#1 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:15 PM

My 20 liter whiskey barrel from Balcones Distilling should be arriving next week. I need to pick a beer to put in it!I've currently got an oak aged barleywine, barrel aged 80/- and about to do a barrel aged RIS with a group here in Columbia. So this is where the BFBT should activate!What style/type of beer should I put into this barrel?

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

My 20 liter whiskey barrel from Balcones Distilling should be arriving next week. I need to pick a beer to put in it!I've currently got an oak aged barleywine, barrel aged 80/- and about to do a barrel aged RIS with a group here in Columbia. So this is where the BFBT should activate!What style/type of beer should I put into this barrel?

I vote Smoked Porter mmmmm

#3 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:19 PM

Forgive my ignorance, ive yet to do any oaking and know very little about the process. They are whiskey barrels, so im assuming theyre used...? So maybe a nice bourbon vanilla stout? That would pose another question.... would it be difficult to get the vanilla flavor and aroma out of the barrel when finished? How much do one of those barrels cost? I followed the link, but but didnt see anything right away.. well, then something shiny caught... my.. attent... :D

#4 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:36 AM

I vote Smoked Porter mmmmm

Mmmm, this just might be the ticket! Hmmm, I'm thinking a nice spicy Rye Porter should do the trick! Kind of like a Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter.

Forgive my ignorance, ive yet to do any oaking and know very little about the process. They are whiskey barrels, so im assuming theyre used...? So maybe a nice bourbon vanilla stout? That would pose another question.... would it be difficult to get the vanilla flavor and aroma out of the barrel when finished? How much do one of those barrels cost? I followed the link, but but didnt see anything right away.. well, then something shiny caught... my.. attent... :D

The barrel was $124 shipped from a group buy here.My next one will more than likely just be a new one from here. About the same price shipped as the used once barrel from Balcones.Now if I could just find a 50 liter for $150 shipped I'd be super happy!Regarding a vanilla stout, I'd think that the vanilla might be hard to get out. In the past I've just oaked with cubes long enough to extra some vanilla from the oak. But with such a large surface area to beer ratio I won't have time to extract that from this barrel. And I must say that scrapping a vanilla bean or two would result in tons of the little vanilla bean flecks that might make it a pain to remove in the future.

Edited by HarvInCoMo, 05 April 2010 - 03:46 AM.

#5 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:16 AM

(Smoked?) Baltic Porter or Quadrupel

#6 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:39 AM

(Smoked?) Baltic Porter or Quadrupel

I've got plans for a Smoked Baltic Porter and it will be on wood, just not oak. :frank: Now a quad sounds like an idea, as I do also have some Palm sugar and golden syrup available. Hmmm, now its a tie between a Bourbon barrel Quad² or a Bourbon barrel Rye Porter. Decisions, decisions :D :covreyes: :frank:

#7 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:03 AM

A Quad or even a belgian stout. For future barrel aging see if you can get a Port barrel, I've had some nice beers lately from port barrels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users