#1 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

I have a yeast starter that finished fermenting, and I stuck it in the fridge about 2 1/2 weeks ago when my brewing got delayed. Well, now I want to get that starter going again in order to brew in the next few days. I decanted most of the starter beer, and added another quart of boiled, cooled, and aerated DME starter wort. The yeast cake was quite settled and compacted in the bottom of the jar. So I swirled the jar around for a good 3 or more minutes to unsettle the yeast cake and suspend it in the wort. Did I do the right thing? Would it have been just as well to leave it alone and let it do it's thing without all the swirling?

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:04 AM

I think your method for your starter is fine. Last weekend when I woke a previous yeast cake I just added 1L to the yeast cake and swirled it took off within an hour as well. I think aearating as you did was fine. Remember if you used a stir plate the solution is constantly in motion and aerating too so I think yours will be good. Hope you get to pull off your brew this go around.

#3 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

I think your method for your starter is fine.

I concur. Don't sweat it.

#4 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

Thanks, guys, it looks like my starter is showing activity already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users