22 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

So I was chilling my scottish 80/- and suddenly I cocked the hose in my IC a bit and water started spraying everywhere. A little likely made it into the kettle - I considered boiling again but decided to risk it. Excuse me while I RDWHAHB :wacko:

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:37 AM

suddenly I cocked the hose in my IC

:wacko: <_< :)

#3 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:39 AM

I would be relaxing, unless you suspect your water as being from a local pond or stream. :) Or Crestwood, Illinois! :wacko:

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:48 AM

I have been using an IC for a little over a year now. Mine had brass connectors at each end that attached to a garden hose. I would get a drip and such time to time. I never sweated it and all the beers have been fine none the less. I don't think you will have a problem unless like was stated you chilled with pond water. One trick I did was removed the brass connectors put oetiker clamps over some plastic tubing to move the hose connectors away from the kettle and the IC. I also added in between the hose and the IC a hose splitter that I bought at Lowes. I turn on the water at the spigot and have the splitter turned off then I turn it on slowly at the splitter only on one end and watch the water circulate into the IC and make sure I don't have any drips, sprays or leaks. Its worked great for the last 5-7 batches, just a thought or suggestion perhaps too.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:40 AM

I would be relaxing, unless you suspect your water as being from a local pond or stream. <_< Or Crestwood, Illinois! :)

Town water - the worst part is probably going through my garden hose :wacko:

#6 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:44 AM

well I would remember this and when tasting the beer convince yourself that you can taste rubber hose taste :wacko:. I would think a little water in still hot wort would not present any major problem. Good luck

#7 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

My money is on the beer being fine. RDWGMB Relax Don't Worry Give Me a Homebrew - It's going to be a hot one today and I could use it. :wacko:

#8 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:31 AM

Town water - the worst part is probably going through my garden hose :wacko:

Invest in RV hose. I use a RV filter as well. The RV (white) hose is safe for potable water use. Green, and black hoses are not.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

well I would remember this and when tasting the beer convince yourself that you can taste rubber hose taste :wacko:. I would think a little water in still hot wort would not present any major problem. Good luck

Wort was already down to mid-70s when this happened

#10 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

Invest in RV hose. I use a RV filter as well. The RV (white) hose is safe for potable water use. Green, and black hoses are not.

Yes, an RV or boat hose is definitely the way to go. The regular hoses aren't supposed be be used for consumption due to the lead content. It may not kill ya, but still.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

Yes, an RV or boat hose is definitely the way to go. The regular hoses aren't supposed be be used for consumption due to the lead content. It may not kill ya, but still.

Normally the hose water never touches beer so I don't see why this matters...

#12 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:48 PM

I get my brewing water from my well, and I assumed if you did as well, or your tap, that a green, or black hose, was not a good idea, as the RV hose and filter are. The filters are cheap, but I still unscrew the filter for cooling, but still use the RV hose.

#13 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

Yeah, I was also assuming that the same hose you use for your IC is the same hose you use to collect your Liquor.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

Yeah, I was also assuming that the same hose you use for your IC is the same hose you use to collect your Liquor.

No sir - I painstakingly brita filter all of my water out of the tap (I start days ahead of time and just dump the pitcher and refill whenever I walk by).

#15 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

Sounds like some dedication you have Zym. I remember I used to get all my brewing water out of the water dispenser on my fridge. That was back in the extract days. I figured out I can make good beer all grain style straight from the tap so I gave up on taking water from the fridge. Has your fermentation started up yet? Let us know how it goes.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

Sounds like some dedication you have Zym. I remember I used to get all my brewing water out of the water dispenser on my fridge. That was back in the extract days. I figured out I can make good beer all grain style straight from the tap so I gave up on taking water from the fridge. Has your fermentation started up yet? Let us know how it goes.

Oh yeah - I had positive pressure that night and the next day it was chugging along. Right now it's going pretty strong. The basement is 54F and the fermenter is around 60F so it's pretty active.

#17 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:24 AM

Very nice, did you pitch 1728?

#18 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35406 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:54 AM

My money is on the beer being fine. RDWGMB Relax Don't Worry Give Me a Homebrew - It's going to be a hot one today and I could use it. :wacko:

+1 Its happened to me a couple of times. No ill effects.

#19 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

Lily says Relax...

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

Very nice, did you pitch 1728?

Indeed - pitched most of a 4L starter :wacko:Since I knew it would be fermenting pretty cool I wanted to throw a lot of yeast at this thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users